The FBI says it now believes each of the suspects in final week’s San Bernardino massacre had been radicalised for “quite some time”.
David Bowdich, the FBI’s assistant director in charge of the Los Angeles field workplace, said investigators had been nonetheless trying to decide how and by whom Syed Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik were radicalised before the shooting.
“But I will say this – as the investigation has progressed, we have discovered and think that both subjects have been radicalised and have been for really some time,” he said.
The FBI said the couple had been practicing with the weapons as recently as a week before the massacre.
Farook and Malik left their baby daughter at property on Wednesday ahead of heading to the Inland Regional Centre in San Bernardino east of Los Angeles, exactly where some of Farook’s colleagues had gathered for a year-end party.
The couple opened fire, killing 14 and wounding 21 others. They have been killed hours later in a wild fire-fight with police.
It is still not clear what the motive was for the worst attack on US soil since the 9/11 attacks.
The FBI stated it was nevertheless questioning the grandmother of one particular of the suspects and was also examining if there was anyone else apart from the suspects – who was involved in financing or pre-arranging the attack.
Mr Bowditch cast further doubt on whether the couple had been component of a bigger organisation of militants.
“I want to be crystal clear here: We do not see any evidence so far of … an outside-continental-US plot,” he mentioned.
“We could locate it some day, we may possibly not. We don’t know.”
Agents think the couple had been arranging more violence simply because of their cache of ammunition and pipe bombs.
Workers return to their offices
San Bernardino county officials have returned to their offices for the very first time since last week’s attacks after president Barack Obama known as on his nation not to give into fear.
Health workers at the office where gunman Farook was an inspector will stay away for another week.
San Bernardino County supervisor Janice Rutherford mentioned the best way to honour the shooting victims was to return to regular operations.
“We can not be afraid of our lives, of our community, of our neighbours, of our neighborhood of our co-workers,” she said.
Under the tightened safety protocols at county buildings, some security guards who had previously been permitted only to observe and report incidents are now authorised to carry firearms and “engage and detain” assailants, mentioned James Ramos, chairman of the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors.
Mr Obama’s address to the nation about terrorism has been mocked by his political opponents even though his administration is contemplating a new terrorism alert program.
Topics: terrorism, united-states