Tag Archives: 2016

Jailed Egyptian photojournalist’s case adjourned until 2016

Posted December 14, 2015 19:40:52

Mahmoud 'Shawkan' Abu Zeid was arrested while photographing demonstrations after the fall of president Mohammed Morsi in August 2013. Photo: Mahmoud ‘Shawkan’ Abu Zeid was arrested although photographing demonstrations soon after the fall of president Mohammed Morsi in August 2013. (Supplied)
Connected Story: Photographer in jail for two years without charge
Map: Egypt

The case of photojournalist Mahmoud ‘Shawkan’ Abu Zeid has been adjourned until February six and his loved ones say they are seriously concerned about his physical and mental well being.

The delay comes amid new allegations of torture and abuse by Egypt’s security forces.

The 27-year-old was arrested whilst photographing demonstrations after the fall of president Mohammed Morsi in August 2013 and he has been held in a Cairo jail for over 850 days.

In September he was indicted for a range of offences and on the weekend he was due to face a Cairo court for the initial session of his trial.

Australian journalist Peter Greste has named for his immediate release.

Mohammed says he and his family do not know what to do. Photo: Mohammed says he and his family do not know what to do. (ABC News, file photo)

When the young photographer’s brother, Mohammed Abu Zeid, first spoke to ABC in August, Shawkan Abu Zeid had spent over 700 days in jail without charge.

“We submitted appeals, no-a single listens or looks at the case,” Mohammed Abu Zeid stated.

“Each and every 45 days they renew his arrest.”

He stated his brother’s cell was three to four metres long and there was no health-related care for the prisoners.

“You wouldn’t even leave your dog in it. He was tortured.”

‘I can see the illness in his face’

Shawkan had already served lengthy past Egypt’s two-year cap on pre-trial detention, generating his continued imprisonment illegal.

But in September, Shawkan was all of a sudden indicted — charged with murder, attempted murder, protesting and belonging to the banned Muslim Brotherhood group.

His brother Mohammed was at the court on Saturday for the 1st day of the trial and said he and his household do not know what to do.

“So we are really sad,” he said.

There’s no suggestion whatsoever that he was carrying out something untoward.

Peter Greste, Australian journalist.

Shawkan is accused alongside 700 other people who were allegedly in Rabba Square the day safety forces violently broke up a Muslim Brotherhood protest.

Now the judge has stated that he will not start off the trial until all 700 accused are in attendance in the court, and inside the cage Egyptian prisoners are forced to sit in.

Mohammed Zeid stated that the cage was not huge adequate to fit the defendants.

He mentioned he was also concerned about his brother’s physical and mental health.

“I can see the illness in his face,” he said.

Shawkan in Petra Photo: Shawkan’s brother says he is concerned about his brother’s physical and mental wellbeing as he endures months in prison. (Supplied)

“He has become so skinny since he is suffering from hepatitis C.

“He’s finished, extremely tired.”

Mr Greste, who spent 13 months in jail in Egypt, mentioned Shawkan’s case is very similar to his and that there was no evidence to show that Shawkan was doing anything other than his job as a journalist.

“He’s a respected photojournalist,” Mr Greste said.

“He’s worked for some very respectable news organizations, there is no suggestion whatsoever that he was carrying out something untoward.

“All the proof appears to be that he was picked up merely because he happened to be covering an event and he was caught up in a police sweep of the location.”

Mr Greste has called on Egyptian authorities to right away release Shawkan, saying he has been held for too long without any due approach.

“Now Egypt has continually insisted that it is a nation that respects freedom of speech, it respects the freedom of press and that is enshrined in its constitution,” he mentioned.

“If it wants to be taken seriously in that regard then it requirements to be seen to be guarding the rights of journalists like Shakwan, and not holding him in detention, they need to have to release him as quickly as feasible.”

Amnesty International says 14-year-old tortured in prison

Mohamed El Messiry, Amnesty International’s major researcher on Egypt, mentioned they are also calling on the Egyptian government to quickly release 14-year-old boy, Mazen Mohamed Abdallah.

Mazen Mohamed Abdallah was picked up by Egypt’s national safety forces and imprisoned for allegedly protesting with no authorisation on September 30.

The boy’s lawyers mentioned he has been tortured by the police.

“He was tortured, which includes by electrocuting him on his genitals,” they said.

Photographer Mahmoud Abu Zeid Photo: Mahmoud Abou Zeid was imprisoned with two other journalists who have now been released. (Supplied)

“These are horrific and barbaric actions by the national security and we are calling for the instant [release] of the child and also to bring those accountable for torturing the kid to justice.”

On Saturday, in a rare penalty against members of the safety forces, two Egyptian policemen were sentenced to five years in jail each and every following they had been discovered guilty of torturing a lawyer to death in a police station in February this year.

But Mr El Messiry stated the sentence ought to have been amongst 5 and 15 years in detention.

“Nonetheless, the court often use the minimum sentence when they try and sentence police officers.”

Topics: prisons-and-punishment, world-politics, foreign-affairs, journalism, egypt

Agen Sabung Ayam

‘Disgusting, flawless, woman’: Schumer, Williams function in 2016 Pirelli calendar

Posted December 01, 2015 ten:58:24

Amy Schumer and Serena Williams have graced the pages of the 2016 Pirelli calendar, in a shift away from the publication’s standard images of nude supermodels.

The pair have been component of a group of women who had been chosen to function in the calendar for their “outstanding skilled, social, cultural, sporting and artistic accomplishment”, photographer Annie Leibovitz stated.

Leibovitz said at the calendar’s launch none of the photographs had been conceived with the male gaze in thoughts.

The calendar functions no nude portraits — though Schumer and Williams were each shot in their underwear — and no provocation in the posing.

Schumer posted her portrait to Twitter with the caption: “Gorgeous, gross, sturdy, thin, fat, quite, ugly, sexy, disgusting, flawless, woman.”

Leibovitz stated Schumer’s photo “added some enjoyable”.

“It’s as if she did not get the memo saying that she could hold her garments on,” she said in a statement.

The photographer said the pictures were developed to look natural and effortless with minimal post-production function.

Pirelli Tyres chief executive Marco Tronchetti Provera said the organization had been seeking to make a “extremely timely” departure from the calendar’s usual format.

“Females have accomplished some thing outstanding in their lives, from each corner of the planet,” he said.

“This represents what Pirelli thinks is beautiful.”

The other girls featured are Patti Smith, Yoko Ono, author Fran Lebowitz, model Natalia Vodianova, blogger Tavi Gevinson, actor Yao Chen, artist Shirin Neshat, investment banker Mellody Hobson, director Ava DuVernay, film producer Kathleen Kennedy and art collector Agnes Gund.

Serena Williams in Perelli photoshoot Photo: Serena Williams was a single of the women chosen for the photoshoot. (Pirelli/Annie Leibovitz)
Yao Chen's portrait for 2016 Pirelli calendar. Photo: Actor and UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador Yao Chen characteristics in the calendar. (Pirelli/Annie Leibovitz)
Yoko Ono's portrait for the 2016 Pirelli calendar Photo: Yoko Ono is 1 of the females chosen to function in this year’s calendar. (Pirelli/Annie Leibovitz)
Patti Smith's portrait for the 2016 Pirelli calendar Photo: Artist Patti Smith features in the 2016 Pirelli calendar. (Pirelli/Annie Leibovitz)

Subjects: photography, arts-and-entertainment, human-interest, italy, united-states

Agen Sabung Ayam

Red Bull secures engine deal for 2016

Posted November 27, 2015 22:37:17

No wings, but Red Bull does sort out engine deal for F1 subsequent year.

Red Bull’s continued participation in Formula 1 is safe for the short term, with group principal Christian Horner confirming on Friday that a new engine supply deal is in spot for subsequent season.

“We have an agreement with an engine for next year which hopefully will be confirmed in the coming days,” Horner said.

“We’ve entered the (2016) planet championship, we’ve signed a contract for an engine, but I cannot tell you what it’ll be or called at the moment.”

Ferrari and Mercedes rejected Red Bull’s approaches to take more than as a supplier, so it appears Red Bull has had to return to Renault, just weeks following they appeared to have mutually rescinded their partnership.

Red Bull and Renault had been a highly profitable partnership when Sebastian Vettel won 4 consecutive titles from 2010-13, but considering that the introduction of the complicated V6 hybrid-power engines last year, the group has fallen off the pace behind Mercedes.

Public criticism by Red Bull, and even threats to withdraw from F1 completely, proved also considerably for Renault, which announced the relationship among team and engine supplier would end.

Renault was in the approach of taking more than the Lotus group with the intention of becoming a stand-alone group supplying engines to no-a single else.

Nonetheless, there was space left for a compromise under which Red Bull employed Renault-based engines but with much more design input from a third celebration or Red Bull themselves, which would enable the engine to be branded with a diverse name.

“It really is an engine that will hopefully improve for the duration of the course of the year, so it’s going to be a difficult start off to the season for us but we’re confident we’ll make strides,” Horner said.

“Ironically, the path of development will be a single that we wanted to have 12 months ago.”

AAP

Subjects: formula-1, motor-sports, sport, england

Agen Sabung Ayam

A retina display for the road: The clever new 2016 Audi TT reviewed

We spent a handful of days obtaining to know Audi’s new TT and its quite cool Virtual Cockpit. Video developed by Jennifer Hahn. (video link)

“We’re going to do some laps, but this isn’t a track car. If I hear any person complaining about brake fade or lap instances I’m not going to be pleased.” So went the pep talk from Audi top up to our time with the company’s new TT. And while we got many laps—at the Circuit of the Americas no much less, just before the Lone Star Le Mans races—there are couple of things we’d rather do with a new car than get to know it on a planet-class circuit. The prospect of our 1st track time this year only came in second on our list of “causes we want to drive the new Audi TT.” Rather, we have been truly excited to attempt out the car’s UI, which the company calls “Virtual Cockpit.”

Replacing all a car’s dials and gauges with a single TFT screen is not new, but the TT is the first auto we’ve driven to start genuinely pushing the notion. It works in conjunction with Audi’s MMI infotainment system—which is really really very good now—letting you do cool issues like displaying Google Maps full-screen with overlays for important info from the auto. Ambitious UI experiments don’t often succeed, but right after many hundred miles the TT’s clever dash thoroughly impressed us. Oh, and the rest of the car wasn’t also poor either. Like the good man from Audi mentioned, it is not a track automobile. Style requires priority over speed, but that is no undesirable point if done properly.

Read 17 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Bandar Sabung Ayam

Report: Google Play’s move into China now scheduled for 2016

Agen Sabung Ayam

(credit: Josh Chin)

A report from Reuters provides us the most recent update on Google’s ongoing effort to get Google Play into China. The report says that Google staff are “operating hard in China to lay the ground for the app store’s launch” and the store will go reside in 2016, sometime after February.

With 1.three billion folks, China is the world’s largest smartphone industry, but a Google-blessed version of Android isn’t obtainable there. Google is really active in the second- and third-most-populated countries—India and the US—but the company effectively pulled out of China several years ago due to censorship laws. Android is nonetheless the greatest mobile OS in China, but it’s all a bunch of forked versions of the Android Open Supply Project skinned by the likes of Xiaomi and Huawei.

The sources Reuters spoke to say that Google does not need “explicit approval” from the Chinese Government it just demands to “comply with Chinese laws including these governing data storage and content material filtering.” These guidelines apparently imply that China will be obtaining a particular version of the Play Store that is “set up especially for China, and not connected to overseas versions of Google Play” according to the report. Since Google’s payment arm is not live in China, the report says the Play Store will be using local payment alternatives, like Alipay and WeChat Payment to buy apps and make in-app purchases.

Study 3 remaining paragraphs | Comments