Tag Archives: Attack

Dozens killed in Syrian rocket attack

Updated December 14, 2015 01:24:56

Man carries baby through Syrian rubble Photo: A Syrian man carries a child via rubble following air strikes on the town of Douma in the eastern Ghouta area. (AFP: Sameer Al-Doumy)
Map: Syrian Arab Republic

Air and missile strikes on a college district and other areas in insurgent-held Damascus suburbs have killed at least 28 men and women, like two children and a college principal, a group monitoring the Syrian war says.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights stated unidentified war planes hit the town of Douma, 15 kilometres north-east of the capital, and surface-to-surface missiles fired by the Syrian army also hit the surrounding areas, like Eastern Ghouta.

The regions have been below heavy bombardment in recent months. The Syrian army has stated its strikes target insurgents that have launched attacks on government-held areas.

The Observatory, which gathers info from a network of contacts on the ground, said at least 40 mortar bombs fired by insurgents in the eastern suburbs hit Damascus on Sunday, killing at least one particular child and wounding several.

State news agency SANA stated 3 civilians had been killed and at least 30 wounded in mortar attacks targeting residential neighbourhoods of Damascus.

Most of the victims have been college students, it mentioned, citing its reporter in the area.

Reuters

Damage to Syrian city of Douma Photo: A street in Douma, in the eastern Ghouta region, right after the air strikes. (AFP: Sameer Al-Doumy)

Topics: unrest-conflict-and-war, syrian-arab-republic

1st posted December 14, 2015 01:12:28

Agen Sabung Ayam

Dozens killed in Syrian rocket attack

Posted December 14, 2015 01:12:28

Man carries baby through Syrian rubble Photo: A Syrian man carries a baby through rubble following air strikes on the town of Douma in the eastern Ghouta region. (AFP: Sameer Al-Doumy)
Map: Syrian Arab Republic

At least 28 people, including children, have been killed during the “heavy bombardment” of a besieged rebel-stronghold east of the Syrian capital.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Assad regime forces fired rockets at parts of the opposition-held Eastern Ghouta region and the town of Douma, 15 kilometres north-east of the capital, Damascus.

The attack area included a school zone.

On its website, the observatory said one of the people killed was a pregnant woman.

Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said air strikes also hit two towns in the region, but it was unclear whether they were carried out by Syrian or Russian warplanes.

The areas have been under heavy bombardment in recent months.

The Syrian army has said its strikes target insurgents that have launched attacks on government-held areas.

AFP

Damage to Syrian city of Douma Photo: A street in Douma, in the eastern Ghouta region, after the air strikes. (AFP: Sameer Al-Doumy)

Topics: unrest-conflict-and-war, syrian-arab-republic

Agen Sabung Ayam

Triple suicide attack kills 27 on Lake Chad island

Posted December 06, 2015 06:39:36

A triple suicide bombing on an island in Lake Chad has killed at least 27 men and women and left more than 80 wounded, a Chadian security source says.

It was one more apparent strike by Boko Haram Islamists in spite of a regional offensive to cease the insurgency.

“Three suicide bombers blew themselves up in 3 different locations at the weekly industry on Loulou Fou, an island in Lake Chad,” the source in the capital N’Djamena stated, speaking on situation of anonymity.

On November 9, N’Djamena declared a state of emergency in the flashpoint Lake Chad area, which also straddles Nigeria, Cameroon and Niger and is regularly targeted by Nigeria’s Boko Haram Islamists.

The group declared allegiance to the Islamic State this year.

The decree granted the governor of the remote area the authority to ban the circulation of individuals and automobiles, to search properties and to seize arms.

In current months, Boko Haram fighters have stepped up attacks and suicide bombings on Chadian villages in the lake region that lie close to the frontier with Nigeria.

The deadliest attack on Chad’s side of the lake took spot on October ten, an additional triple suicide, which killed 41 men and women at Baga Sola.

Considering that the start of the year, the Chadian army has been on the front line of a regional military operation against Boko Haram, whose attacks have spread from northeast Nigeria, its traditional stronghold, to the country’s 3 Lake Chad neighbours.

The joint operation of the four Lake Chad nations plus Benin has involved eight,700 soldiers, police and civilians.

Markets a popular target

Regardless of being hit difficult by the offensive, losing territory, Boko Haram has responded with a wave of attacks and bombings.

Their attacks are typically carried out by young females or adolescent boys targeting markets, which are at heart of African everyday life.

Chadian president Idris Deby Itno not too long ago admitted that the regional force, which is not yet fully operational, “has without having a doubt weakened” the Islamists but “it has not defeated” them.

Nonetheless, Cameroon, part of the regional offensive, on Wednesday claimed to have dealt a key blow to Boko Haram, killing around one hundred fighters and freeing 900 hostages in a three-day operation last week.

The claim comes on the heels of twin attacks by ladies suicide bombers the preceding day in the far north of Cameroon, an region repeatedly targeted by the Islamists in which at least six men and women died.

No independent confirmation of the Cameroonian government’s statement was immediately obtainable from the area, which is inaccessible to the media.

Boko Haram fighters, believed to be hiding out in Nigeria’s Sambisa forest and the Lake Chad’s several islands, are held responsible for 17,000 deaths and for making 2.5 million men and women homeless in their six-year campaign of violence.

Over the previous year Boko Haram has stepped up cross-border attacks in Niger, Chad and Cameroon even though also continuing to mount shooting and suicide assaults on markets, mosques and other mostly civilian targets inside Nigeria itself.

AFP

Subjects: unrest-conflict-and-war, government-and-politics, chad

Agen Sabung Ayam

At least 16 dead in petrol bomb attack on Cairo restaurant: police

Posted December 04, 2015 23:26:14

External Link: Cairo petrol bomb attack video footage.

A petrol bomb hurled into a suburban Cairo restaurant has killed 16 folks and wounded two after a fierce blaze broke out, Egyptian safety officials mentioned.

The restaurant, which also operates as a nightclub, was situated in a basement, offering no escape route, the officials mentioned.

A thick cloud of smoke was noticed billowing from the fire-ravaged venue located in the north-western suburb of Agouza.

The victims were burned to death or died from smoke inhalation.

Police have launched a manhunt right after the perpetrator fled the scene.

A single of the officials mentioned the attacker was an employee who had been fired from the restaurant in the Agouza area in the centre of the Egyptian capital.

The interior ministry stated the petrol bomb was hurled after a dispute erupted between restaurant workers and other people.

Whilst Egypt is often hit by extremist violence, specifically targeting security forces, attacks on restaurants or nightclubs are rare.

Inspectors take a look at the burnt restaurant. Photo: A policeman, inspectors and onlookers gather at the entrance of the burnt Cairo restaurant in Agouza. (AFP: Mohamed El Shahed)

Reuters/AFP

Topics: arson, death, police, egypt

Agen Sabung Ayam

‘Sickening blow’: Police charge man more than Gold Coast attack on Korean student

Posted December 04, 2015 07:53:21

A man has been charged for allegedly kicking a Korean student in the head and robbing him even though unconscious outside a Gold Coast karaoke bar.

Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Procter stated two guys approached the student and his companion outside the bar in Southport Mall early on Wednesday morning.

1 man distracted the pair and the other kicked one of the students in the head.

“You will see by the footage it is very a sickening blow, it is quite an unsavoury matter and we’d like to get it dealt with as soon as we could,” Detective Procter said.

“The victim was rendered unconscious right away. The other victim was chased off by the two offenders.

“The two offenders returned to the Korean national exactly where they proceeded to go by way of his pockets and steal his phone.

“If people could view the footage closely, if anybody must recognise these folks if they could speak to Crime Stoppers instantly.”

The injured student was treated at the Gold Coast University Hospital but was not admitted.

A 26-year-old man from Labrador handed himself in and was charged with armed robbery and assault occasioning bodily harm, Queensland Police said in a statement.

He is due to appear before the Southport Magistrates Court nowadays.

Topics: assault, southport-4215

Agen Sabung Ayam

Labor ramps up attack on Baston more than Marketplace City sale

Posted December 03, 2015 22:59:12

Labor has seized on comments from the West Australian Agriculture Minister talking up the advantages of selling the Perth Industry Authority, arguing it shows a substantial failure in how he has managed conflict of interest problems.

Minister Ken Baston has been below fire for not publicly acknowledging he had declared a conflict of interest over the Perth Market Authority sale, triggered by an advisory role his son has with one of the bidders.

Mr Baston declared the conflict in July, but did not reveal it in State Parliament until Wednesday, just a few days soon after he had appointed an interim board to the authority.

The Opposition continued to grill Mr Baston in Parliament late on Thursday more than his handling of the matter, seizing on the minister’s remarks in the Legislative Council when appointing the interim board.

In that speech, Mr Baston mentioned the sale provided a “significant chance for private sector investment” and that he believed private ownership of the marketplace will “aid open up new export possibilities that are presently not obtainable”.

Mr Baston produced these remarks on Tuesday, a day before the conflict of interest problem came to light.

Labor questioned if it was a breach of the Ministerial Code of Conduct to make these remarks, provided Mr Baston had declared a conflict and excluded himself from Cabinet discussions, but the minister insisted he had done the appropriate thing.

“There is no need to clear any prospective conflict of interest to Parliament,” he said.

“The Ministerial Code of Conduct needs I declare any possible conflicts to Cabinet, which I have accomplished.

“I am accountable for the Perth Markets Act, and under the act the minister is responsible for ensuring the day-to-day operations of Industry City … this has had nothing at all to do with the sale of the asset.

“The tips my workplace received was that it would not be in the very best interest of any certain bidders to disclose any info publicly that may well disadvantage them.”

Premier Colin Barnett also continued to back the minister, saying Mr Baston’s conflict declaration affected his involvement in Cabinet consideration and not his ability to speak on the matter in Parliament.

The continued controversy over Mr Baston’s handling of the Industry Authority continued as the Government pushed on with attempts to get legislation by means of Parliament to let its sale.

Numerous MPs are expecting the Legislative Council to sit all evening and into tomorrow morning, as the Government attempts to pass the legislation before Parliament rises for the year.

Topics: government-and-politics, perth-6000

Agen Sabung Ayam

Life-saving wireless health-related devices ‘at risk of cyber attack’

By Rebecca Turner

Posted December 03, 2015 00:33:58

Life-saving wireless heart pacemakers could truly be ticking time bombs at danger of cyber attack, a Perth conference has been told.

Health-related device safety specialist Todd Cooper told the SRI Safety Conference at Edith Cowan University on Wednesday that wireless medical devices such as ventilators, patient-controlled analgesia pumps and MRI machines had been vulnerable to cyber attacks.

He stated that whilst no cybercriminal had however hacked into a health-related device with the intent of harming a patient physically, wireless devices were a recognised target and “a ticking time bomb”.

“Given the fact that this is a vulnerability that is there these days and can be exploited, I consider hospital personnel really require to take action rapidly,” he stated.

The danger of “medjacking” — or the hijacking of health-related devices — is regarded so actual that in September, the FBI issued a security alert warning on the threat.

The agency warned of the prospective for cybercriminals to hack into healthcare devices which connect to the web to send or acquire information, such as insulin dispensers.

“Criminals can use these possibilities to remotely facilitate attacks on other systems, send malicious and spam e-mails, steal individual info, or interfere with physical safety,” the FBI warned.

Two years ago, former US vice president Dick Cheney revealed that in 2007 he had the wireless function of his heart defibrillator disconnected to safeguard him from the threat of cyber attack.

Topics: health, web-technology, perth-6000

Agen Sabung Ayam

China blamed for ‘massive’ cyber attack on BoM supercomputer

[unable to retrieve complete-text content]

China is being blamed for a main cyber attack on the computer systems at the Bureau of Meteorology, which has compromised sensitive systems across the Federal Government.

Agen Sabung Ayam

Boko Haram claims suicide attack on Shiite Muslims in Nigeria

Posted November 29, 2015 01:13:31

Boko Haram has claimed duty for a suicide bombing on a Shiite Muslim procession close to the northern Nigerian city of Kano that killed 22 folks.

The hardline Islamist group mentioned in a statement in Arabic on social media its bomber “detonated his explosives which led to the death” of the victims on Friday.

At least 21 people have been initially reported killed, but the toll rose soon after a single much more individual was confirmed dead.

“For now, we have 22 deaths following the death of one particular more particular person yesterday. 38 folks have also been injured, two of whom have been discharged from the hospital,” 1 of the organisers of the march Ali Kakaki said.

He mentioned, regardless of the attack on Friday, the Islamic Movement of Nigeria members continued their march from Kano to Zaria in neighbouring Kaduna state, where their leader Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky is primarily based.

  • Boko Haram, which signifies “Western education is sinful”, is loosely modelled on the Taliban movement in Afghanistan.
  • The group considers all who do not follow its strict ideology as infidels, no matter whether they are Christian or Muslim.
  • It demands the adoption of Sharia law in all of Nigeria.

Read much more

The march is to mark Ashura, which commemorates the death of Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Mohammed.

“Following the attack, numerous far more of our members have joined the procession,” Kakaki said, adding that they aimed to arrive at their destination subsequent week.

Friday’s attack took place in the village of Dakasoye, some 20 kilometres south of the city of Kano.

1 of the procession’s organisers stated a bomber clad in black ran into the crowd and detonated his explosives.

Boko Haram, the radical Sunni jihadists who want to create a hardline Islamic state in northeast Nigeria, has previously been blamed for attacks on Shia Muslims in the region.

The militant group has waged a six-year insurgency which has left at least 17,000 people dead and made far more than 2.6 million homeless.

Boko Harm condemns Shias as heretics who must be killed.

The group has increasingly used suicide bombers against “soft” civilian targets since the commence of a military offensive earlier this year that pushed them out of territory they controlled.

Nigeria’s president Muhammadu Buhari gave his military commanders till next month to finish the conflict, but there are fears that suicide and bomb attacks could persist.

AFP

Subjects: unrest-conflict-and-war, government-and-politics, nigeria

Agen Sabung Ayam

Pirates attack foreign ships off Somalia

An armed Somali pirate along the coastline (January 2010)Image copyright AFP
Image caption Piracy in Somalia has declined considering that foreign navies started patrols

Pirates have attacked two foreign fishing trawlers off Somalia’s coast, seizing the crew of 1 of them, maritime experts and residents say.

A Thai trawler managed to escape, following a failed attempt on Monday to hijack it in waters off central Somalia, residents told the BBC.

Pirates had seized an Iranian-flagged vessel’s 15 crew following an attack in northern Somalia, officials mentioned.

Ships and their crew are mostly held for ransom in Somalia.

  • Africa Reside: BBC news updates
  • Somalia warns of return to piracy

Piracy in the region was at its worst in 2011, when more than 700 folks had been taken hostage.

There has been a sharp decline given that then, with about 56 foreigners currently becoming held by pirates in Somalia, according to the AFP news agency.

The fall in piracy came right after foreign navies – such as these from the US and China – started patrolling the East African coast and private firms put armed guards on their ships.

The Iranian vessel was captured on Sunday, and appeared to be heading for the Somali coast with three pirates on board, stated John Steed from Oceans Beyond Piracy, which monitors piracy, AFP reports.

“The level of illegal fishing is prompting these sort of attacks, and the prospective for bringing piracy back,” Mr Steed warned.

Somalis have typically complained that foreign trawlers threaten the livelihoods of fishing communities along the coast, and this is the main cause of piracy.

Bandar Sabung Ayam