Tag Archives: conflict

Much more than 9,000 killed because begin of Ukraine conflict: UN

Posted December 09, 2015 22:32:12

An unexploded rocket in field near the village of Dmitrivka. Photo: An unexploded rocket in field near the village of Dmitrivka. (AFP: Dimitar Dilkoff)

More than 9,000 people have been killed since the conflict in Ukraine began, a United Nations report says, warning that even though fighting had abated, millions were in precarious situations.

The UN human rights office hailed “a sharp de-escalation of hostilities” in the conflict zones in eastern Ukraine since the warring sides signed a new truce on September 1, following a fragile truce agreed in Minsk in February.

In its latest report on Ukraine, the rights office said that between August 16 and November 15, 47 civilians were killed and 131 injured in the conflict zones of eastern Ukraine — sharply down from the previous three-month period.

But nonetheless, at least 9,098 people — including civilians, soldiers and militia members — have perished since the beginning of the conflict in mid-April 2014 until the middle of last month, with another 20,732 injured, the report said.

Fifty-two per cent of the casualties since August were caused by landmines and other explosive devices, the report said, underscoring “the urgent need for extensive mine clearance and mine awareness actions on both sides of the contact line”.

Ukraine’s emergencies ministry said that by last month it had cleared the separatist Donetsk and Lugansk regions in the former Soviet republic’s once-booming industrial heartland of more than 44,000 mines.

But the warring sides and foreign monitors are struggling to estimate how many unexploded devices remain.

“Mapping of the minefields is so far incomplete and inaccurate, and sign-posting is urgently required to warn the population about their presence,” the report said, cautioning that the arrival of snow would make the situation even more dangerous, since it would cover and even displace booby-traps.

Serious human rights concerns

The rights office meanwhile warned that “serious human rights concerns persist”, including “continuing impunity, torture and an absence of the rule of law in the east”.

The humanitarian situation also remained dire for many of the nearly three million living in the affected areas, as well as for the more than 1.5 million who have been displaced inside Ukraine.

“Civilians in the conflict-afflicted eastern parts of Ukraine end the year as they began it, in a very difficult humanitarian and human rights situation,” UN human rights chief Zeid Raad Al Hussein said in a statement.

A rescuer stands in a food storage unit in Ukraine. Photo: A rescuer stands in a food storage unit destroyed during shelling between Ukrainian forces and pro-Russian separatists. (AFP: Aleksey Filippov, file)

“Elderly people have no access to their life savings, people with disabilities have little assistance, and reduced access to healthcare has left many in dismal, precarious, even life-threatening situations,” he cautioned.

The report said civilians in areas controlled by armed groups in the rebel strongholds of Donetsk and Lugansk continued to face serious rights abuses, including killings, forced labour, and extortion, while the government forces were slammed for using arbitrary and secret detention.

Mr Al Hussein reminded all sides in the conflict that they can be held criminally accountable for the human rights abuses in territories under their control.

The report stressed that “amnesty cannot be provided for individuals responsible for war crimes, crimes against humanity and grave human rights violations, including summary executions, torture or similar cruel inhuman or degrading treatment, and enforced disappearances”.

To reach a lasting peace, all sides must fully implement the Minsk Agreements, it said.

But it warned that the “continuing presence of foreign fighters”, including some identified as members of the Russian military, “as well as the reported influx of heavy and sophisticated weaponry from the Russian Federation and the lack of effective control by the government of Ukraine of the state border with the Russian Federation remain the major impediments to this solution”.

AFP

Topics: unrest-conflict-and-war, territorial-disputes, world-politics, ukraine

Agen Sabung Ayam

Baston declares conflict of interest in Marketplace City sale

Updated December 02, 2015 22:22:36

Western Australia’s Agriculture Minister has admitted he has a conflict of interest more than the sale of a major state asset, but insisted he did not hide that fact.

The revelation from Ken Baston comes with the Government trying to push through legislation enabling the sale of Canning Vale’s Marketplace City by means of Parliament this week, just before it shuts down for the year.

The Perth Market Authority is one particular of a tranche of assets the State Government is trying to sell off in a bid to minimize the state’s spiralling debt, forecast to peak at just more than $ 36 billion by 2017/18.

The Government hopes the sale will reap more than $ 100 million.

It is understood the conflict relates to an advisory role Mr Baston’s son has with one particular of the bidders for the Market place Authority.

Mr Baston stated he had disclosed the matter to the Premier but his appointment of a new board for the authority final week was unrelated to his conflict.

“The management of the board still sits under the Minister, so that appointment is separate to the sale, it is just the day-to-day running of the markets,” Mr Baston told Parliament.

“I have removed myself from all Cabinet meetings whenever the discussion has taken place [relating to the sale].”

Mr Baston’s admission drew the ire of Labor, which said stakeholders had been going to the Minister to express issues over the sale although in the dark about the concern.

“This complete time market has been going to the Minister’s office raising their concerns, believing he would be their voice in Cabinet when he has been absent from all of these Cabinet discussions,” Labor MP Ken Travers mentioned.

“Now we find out the Minister has a conflict … but has he ever told the sector about that conflict?”

Mr Travers mentioned Mr Baston’s appointment of a new board for the authority, following the resignation of the previous one, was especially concerning.

“Having declared a conflict, absented himself from all Cabinet discussions he’s now appointed the board that will manage the authority in the course of the sale method,” he mentioned.

“In his personal words he had a conflict and ought to have been out of the game but he nonetheless participated.”

A spokeswoman for Mr Baston stated it was widely recognized that the Minister had a conflict of interest and that he had followed correct processes.

Topics: government-and-politics, agribusiness, fruit, canning-vale-6155

First posted December 02, 2015 21:04:32

Agen Sabung Ayam

Indigenous men executed in colonial conflict honoured in Melbourne memorial

Posted November 27, 2015 13:44:58

A memorial planned for central Melbourne to remember executed Indigenous Tasmanians Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheener. Photo: A memorial planned for central Melbourne to keep in mind executed Indigenous Tasmanians Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheener. (Supplied: Melbourne City Council)

A swing set reminiscent of the gallows exactly where two Indigenous guys were hanged in 1842 will be erected as a memorial to colonial conflict in Melbourne.

The memorial marks the initial main monument recognising colonial conflict in Melbourne, and will be established near the site where Indigenous Tasmanian males Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheener had been executed.

It will feature a series of newspaper stands and an Indigenous garden, inviting the public to reflect on the executions – Victoria’s very first formal hangings – on the corner of Franklin and Victoria Streets, close to the old gaol.

Artist Trent Walter, who co-designed the memorial with artist Brook Andrews, stated it was a difficult activity to memorialise such a confronting component of the city’s past.

He mentioned it could be compared to a war memorial for Indigenous individuals, or a marker for hidden components of Melbourne’s previous.

“It’s definitely a confronting story but the space we’ve developed is about reflection – it is attempting to say let’s deal with this traumatic past,” Mr Walter stated.

“It is not pushing a distinct political agenda, it is just saying these issues occurred we want to acknowledge it and think about it more broadly than we have ahead of, and what the implications are for our society.”

The swing set will provide a view towards the old gaol, exactly where Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheener have been kept before their hanging.

Facing the other path, visitors will appear towards the newsstands.

“The concept of the newsstands is that this must be news every single day, we should bear in mind these men and women.”

Just before becoming recruited to design and style a memorial with Ms Andrews, Mr Walter stated he had no expertise of the story behind Melbourne’s initial executions.

“This is a really difficult thing – I think it shows fantastic vision, by the City of Melbourne,” he stated.

“Hopefully it really is the start of broader engagement with these histories.”

The City of Melbourne will devote $ 155,000 constructing the memorial.

Subjects: history, neighborhood-and-society, indigenous-aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander, unrest-conflict-and-war, local-government, melbourne-3000, tas

Agen Sabung Ayam

Body scanners to eliminate strip search conflict: police chief

Posted November 25, 2015 16:54:44

Ms Martin was forcibly stripped by police in Perth lockup. (Supplied)Video: Ms Martin was forcibly stripped by police in Perth lockup. (Supplied) (ABC News)

Western Australia’s Police Commissioner believes the introduction of body scanners in the Perth watch property and other major stations will support decrease danger of confrontation in between officers and detainees over strip searches.

The Corruption and Crime Commission (CCC) has criticised WA Police over what it concluded was the unlawful use of force to strip search Joanne Martin at the watch residence in 2013.

Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan has told a parliamentary committee that a massive number of adjustments had been implemented since that incident to address the opinions expressed by the CCC.

Mr O’Callaghan mentioned body scanners would all but eliminate the want for strip searches when they were introduced early subsequent year.

“We’re hoping that the initial two body scanners will be offered for use by about February or March next year,” he mentioned.

“Portion of the challenge in making use of body scanners in Australia is that they have to be licensed by the Federal Government.

“Clearly, I’m keen to get them in place as soon as possible due to the fact its greater for members of the public, but of course it really is also greater for police officers.”

Physique scanners will be very first introduced at the new Perth watch residence in Northbridge, and then progressively at other metropolitan stations and chosen regional centres.

Greater police supervision, instruction given that CCC report

The committee questioned the Commissioner and other senior police about the police response to the CCC report into the incident involving Ms Martin, which was released in August.

The incident occurred in April 2013 when the woman was taken into custody at the East Perth watch house right after becoming arrested for disorderly behaviour in Northbridge.

In its report, the CCC condemned the conduct of officers involved in strip searching Ms Martin, and raised issues that it was component of a wider culture and institutionalised failure in WA Police.

After becoming taken to East Perth watch home, “Ms Martin located herself naked, lying face down on the floor, with a number of watch residence officers seeking to restrain her, one particular applying hammer blows with a fist to the shoulder blade location,” the report mentioned.

Other officers also hit her, with “a second also striking her, and another employing such force to attempt and take away a ring that it caused a severe fracture of a finger”.

The committee was told police had accepted and taken action to implement recommendations from the report.

Alterations integrated improvements in supervision, training and procedures for watch property employees, and enhanced electronic record keeping of choices and actions taken by officers detaining and looking folks in custody.

Topics: corruption, law-crime-and-justice, police, perth-6000, wa

Agen Sabung Ayam