Tag Archives: Convicted

Convicted killer Luigi Costa had inability to appreciate wrongness, court told

Posted December 02, 2015 14:45:47

Convicted killer Luigi Costa’s lawyer said his client had a “full inability to appreciate the wrongness of his conduct” in the brutal killing of his neighbour Terrence Freebody three years ago.

A jury identified Costa, 72, guilty of killing Mr Freebody by slashing his throat and stabbing him a number of times.

The pair had been drinking at Costa’s property where Mr Freebody and his wife had gone for a pay a visit to.

Mrs Freebody left just before the attack following taking exception to language becoming utilized by Costa.

Costa’s lawyer Remy van de Wiel failed to convince the jury he was not guilty by purpose of mental impairment.

The court heard different proof about regardless of whether Costa had been suffering dementia or some type of mild mental impairment due to lengthy-term alcohol abuse.

Prosecutor Shane Drumgold told the court it created no difference soon after the jury verdict.

“What ever he has it’s not relevant to sentence,” Mr Drumgold mentioned.

Photo taken approximately 10 years ago (late 1990's - early 2000's). Terrence Freebody was a past Canberra cricketer. Photo: Terrence Freebody (pictured approximately 15 years ago) was murdered by Luigi Costa. (ABC News)

But Mr van de Wiel told the court even at the scene it was clear Costa was in a confused state.

“There seems to be a full inability to appreciate the wrongness of his conduct,” he said.

Mr van de Wiel admitted jail was inevitable.

“He’s got to go to jail, he’s got to keep in jail, it is got to be a substantial sentence, no doubt about that,” he mentioned.

He suggested a head sentence of 12 to 14 years.

Mr Drumgold said he would stop brief of asking for a life sentence, but mentioned the term need to reflect the fact this was a brutal attack on a defenceless victim.

Costa will be sentenced tomorrow.

Subjects: courts-and-trials, murder-and-manslaughter, act, canberra-2600

Agen Sabung Ayam

EX-AFL player convicted of assault appointed nation coach

Updated December 01, 2015 06:52:40

A country Victorian football club has gone to ground following announcing the appointment of disgraced former AFL star Nick Stevens as its senior coach.

Stevens was discovered guilty in January of assault, threats to kill and intentionally causing injury to his ex-companion while they had been dating in 2012 and 2013.

He has appealed against the eight-month jail sentence handed down and is on bail.

The former Port Adelaide and Carlton player was coaching SANFL club Glenelg in 2014 but was sacked soon after he was located guilty.

But the Red Cliffs Football Netball Club announced it had appointed Stevens as coach, the day right after White Ribbon day, a campaign to avoid violence against girls.

“Red Cliffs Football Netball Club are very excited to have Nick on board and are searching forward to him bringing his skills and expertise to the club for each senior and junior club improvement,” it mentioned in a statement.

Former Sydney Swans player Luke Ablett mentioned on Twitter he had asked the club on its Facebook web page no matter whether it had forgotten about Stevens’ domestic violence convictions.

He mentioned three comments he created on the club’s web page had been deleted.

The club, the premiership team in the Sunraysia Football Netball League, has not responded to the ABC’s requests for comment.

Nick Stevens runs the ball for Carlton Photo: Stevens played for Carlton and Port Adelaide among 1998-2009. (Getty Photos: Mark Dadswell, file photo)

League president Pat Curran stated judgement of the situation must be reserved until the appeal was heard.

“It demands to be considered that the legal process still hasn’t finished, the man is nevertheless literally a free citizen and whilst I’m certain Red Cliffs would not condone domestic violence in any way, shape or kind, this individual has to be given the opportunity to continue his life in the mean time,” Mr Curran stated.

“I feel they’ve most likely realised that it was the incorrect time to announce that and so they’re almost certainly a bit bashful about it.

“[I feel] they are a bit hesitant to speak out any far more in case factors are interpreted in the wrong manner.

“I do not know when they’ll talk about it, but quickly I suppose.”

Stevens played 231 AFL games at Port Adelaide and Carlton in between 1998-2009, and also coached Gippsland Energy in the Below 18s TAC Cup.

Stevens’ appeal is listed to be heard in the County Court next July.

Subjects: law-crime-and-justice, australian-football-league, rural, domestic-violence, red-cliffs-3496, vic

1st posted December 01, 2015 06:47:27

Agen Sabung Ayam

Bangladesh Hangs 2 Leaders Convicted of War Crimes

NEW DELHI — The Bangladeshi authorities on Sunday hanged two senior opposition leaders convicted of atrocities dating to Bangladesh’s 1971 war for independence from Pakistan.

Violent protests have followed previous convictions and executions from the war crimes trials, and the authorities deployed heavy security and asked organizations adjacent to the Dhaka Central Jail to close their doors. Toward midnight on Saturday, an imam was noticed getting into the jail, and household members filed out following final meetings with the condemned males, Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury and Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojaheed.

Each have been executed shortly right after midnight.

Bangladesh’s law minister, Anisul Huq, mentioned that the two men petitioned the president for clemency on Saturday and that the president had rejected the petition. In a short comment released by Human Rights Watch, however, relatives of Mr. Chowdhury said that was not correct.

“He didn’t apply for mercy,” the statement mentioned. “And he undoubtedly didn’t admit guilt.”

Continue reading the major story

The war crimes trials, which started in 2009, have widened fault lines dating to 1971 over regardless of whether Bangladesh should be a secular or Islamist country. They have unfolded against a background of rising extremist violence, with deadly attacks on secular intellectuals and religious minority groups becoming a lot more frequent more than the final year.

Human Rights Watch, which is based in New York, criticized the trials as biased toward the prosecution, noting that the defense was prevented from calling important witnesses to testify. In Mr. Chowdhury’s case, the court excluded witnesses who could have proved that “his alibi was valid beyond a reasonable doubt,” the group mentioned.

Mr. Chowdhury and Mr. Mojaheed had been leaders of parties opposed to the governing Awami League, which is led by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. They had opposed the creation of an independent Bangladesh in 1971.

Mr. Chowdhury, 66, was an adviser to former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia, Ms. Hasina’s longtime political adversary and a member of the standing committee for the Bangladesh National Party.

In the course of the 1971 war, he was a student at Dhaka University. Prosecutors mentioned that his father had utilised the family residence in the coastal city of Chittagong as an interrogation center and that Mr. Chowdhury had tortured prisoners there.

A 3-judge tribunal found him guilty of nine of 23 charges, such as attempting “to wipe out the Hindu population as a religious group by launching a systematic attack on a large scale with the help of the Pakistan Army.”

Throughout the trial, which lasted for three years, Mr. Chowdhury insisted that he was innocent. He was caustic about the prosecution, remarking at a single point that of the three million people killed throughout the 1971 war, “you say I have killed two million.”

Stephen J. Rapp, a former American ambassador who led the State Department’s Workplace of Global Criminal Justice, called Mr. Chowdhury’s prosecution “particularly disturbing” simply because he was not permitted to contact witnesses who could testify that he left Bangladesh in March 1971, and was as a result not in the country at the time of the crimes he was accused of committing.

“For such a method to stand the test of time,” it need to respect “the highest legal standards,” Mr. Rapp stated in a statement released on Friday. “It saddens me to say that I do not believe that was done” in the circumstances of Mr. Chowdhury and Mr. Mojaheed.

Mr. Mojaheed served as minister of social welfare from 2001 to 2006, and he was secretary basic of the country’s major Islamist party, Jamaat-e-Islami Bangladesh.

He was convicted of 4 charges, such as organizing the murders of intellectuals and minority Hindus although he commanded Al Badr, an auxiliary force of the Pakistani Army.

After the judge pronounced the verdict, Mr. Mojaheed shouted from the dock that the selection was “a hundred percent injustice,” according to a reporter who was present. “Forging an Islamic movement was my offense,” he said.

Loading…