Tag Archives: jailed

Jailed Egyptian photojournalist’s case adjourned until 2016

Posted December 14, 2015 19:40:52

Mahmoud 'Shawkan' Abu Zeid was arrested while photographing demonstrations after the fall of president Mohammed Morsi in August 2013. Photo: Mahmoud ‘Shawkan’ Abu Zeid was arrested although photographing demonstrations soon after the fall of president Mohammed Morsi in August 2013. (Supplied)
Connected Story: Photographer in jail for two years without charge
Map: Egypt

The case of photojournalist Mahmoud ‘Shawkan’ Abu Zeid has been adjourned until February six and his loved ones say they are seriously concerned about his physical and mental well being.

The delay comes amid new allegations of torture and abuse by Egypt’s security forces.

The 27-year-old was arrested whilst photographing demonstrations after the fall of president Mohammed Morsi in August 2013 and he has been held in a Cairo jail for over 850 days.

In September he was indicted for a range of offences and on the weekend he was due to face a Cairo court for the initial session of his trial.

Australian journalist Peter Greste has named for his immediate release.

Mohammed says he and his family do not know what to do. Photo: Mohammed says he and his family do not know what to do. (ABC News, file photo)

When the young photographer’s brother, Mohammed Abu Zeid, first spoke to ABC in August, Shawkan Abu Zeid had spent over 700 days in jail without charge.

“We submitted appeals, no-a single listens or looks at the case,” Mohammed Abu Zeid stated.

“Each and every 45 days they renew his arrest.”

He stated his brother’s cell was three to four metres long and there was no health-related care for the prisoners.

“You wouldn’t even leave your dog in it. He was tortured.”

‘I can see the illness in his face’

Shawkan had already served lengthy past Egypt’s two-year cap on pre-trial detention, generating his continued imprisonment illegal.

But in September, Shawkan was all of a sudden indicted — charged with murder, attempted murder, protesting and belonging to the banned Muslim Brotherhood group.

His brother Mohammed was at the court on Saturday for the 1st day of the trial and said he and his household do not know what to do.

“So we are really sad,” he said.

There’s no suggestion whatsoever that he was carrying out something untoward.

Peter Greste, Australian journalist.

Shawkan is accused alongside 700 other people who were allegedly in Rabba Square the day safety forces violently broke up a Muslim Brotherhood protest.

Now the judge has stated that he will not start off the trial until all 700 accused are in attendance in the court, and inside the cage Egyptian prisoners are forced to sit in.

Mohammed Zeid stated that the cage was not huge adequate to fit the defendants.

He mentioned he was also concerned about his brother’s physical and mental health.

“I can see the illness in his face,” he said.

Shawkan in Petra Photo: Shawkan’s brother says he is concerned about his brother’s physical and mental wellbeing as he endures months in prison. (Supplied)

“He has become so skinny since he is suffering from hepatitis C.

“He’s finished, extremely tired.”

Mr Greste, who spent 13 months in jail in Egypt, mentioned Shawkan’s case is very similar to his and that there was no evidence to show that Shawkan was doing anything other than his job as a journalist.

“He’s a respected photojournalist,” Mr Greste said.

“He’s worked for some very respectable news organizations, there is no suggestion whatsoever that he was carrying out something untoward.

“All the proof appears to be that he was picked up merely because he happened to be covering an event and he was caught up in a police sweep of the location.”

Mr Greste has called on Egyptian authorities to right away release Shawkan, saying he has been held for too long without any due approach.

“Now Egypt has continually insisted that it is a nation that respects freedom of speech, it respects the freedom of press and that is enshrined in its constitution,” he mentioned.

“If it wants to be taken seriously in that regard then it requirements to be seen to be guarding the rights of journalists like Shakwan, and not holding him in detention, they need to have to release him as quickly as feasible.”

Amnesty International says 14-year-old tortured in prison

Mohamed El Messiry, Amnesty International’s major researcher on Egypt, mentioned they are also calling on the Egyptian government to quickly release 14-year-old boy, Mazen Mohamed Abdallah.

Mazen Mohamed Abdallah was picked up by Egypt’s national safety forces and imprisoned for allegedly protesting with no authorisation on September 30.

The boy’s lawyers mentioned he has been tortured by the police.

“He was tortured, which includes by electrocuting him on his genitals,” they said.

Photographer Mahmoud Abu Zeid Photo: Mahmoud Abou Zeid was imprisoned with two other journalists who have now been released. (Supplied)

“These are horrific and barbaric actions by the national security and we are calling for the instant [release] of the child and also to bring those accountable for torturing the kid to justice.”

On Saturday, in a rare penalty against members of the safety forces, two Egyptian policemen were sentenced to five years in jail each and every following they had been discovered guilty of torturing a lawyer to death in a police station in February this year.

But Mr El Messiry stated the sentence ought to have been amongst 5 and 15 years in detention.

“Nonetheless, the court often use the minimum sentence when they try and sentence police officers.”

Topics: prisons-and-punishment, world-politics, foreign-affairs, journalism, egypt

Agen Sabung Ayam

Doris Fenbow’s killer jailed for at least 15 years over 1988 murder

Updated December 11, 2015 11:21:46

A man has been sentenced to at least 15 years in prison for the murder of 66-year-old Doris Fenbow in Sydney’s south-east 27 years ago.

Much more to come.

Initial posted December 11, 2015 11:20:21

Agen Sabung Ayam

Woolworths employee jailed over workplace bullying at Moe store

Posted November 25, 2015 17:24:07

Map: Moe 3825

A Gippsland man has been jailed for six months more than what has been described as an extended and systematic campaign of workplace bullying that created his victims’ lives “a living hell”.

Sean Clare, from Moe, pleaded guilty to stalking two colleagues at the Woolworths shop in Moe amongst August 2010 and August 2013.

The 46-year-old verbally abused his then-evening shift manager Erica Jegers and one more employee, Steven Ricketts.

The Latrobe Magistrates’ Court heard Clare typically undermined Ms Jegers, refusing to execute basic tasks and spread rumours she was having an affair.

He was openly hostile and aggressive towards Ms Jegers, generating derogatory comments about her although she was in earshot.

On the night of Could 1, 2013, Clare known as Ms Jegers although she was at work, telling her “if you had been a bloke you would have had your head smashed in by now because nobody likes you”.

Ms Jegers produced a formal complaint about the incident to Woolworths management and took the subsequent week off.

The court heard the systematic and continual bullying affected Ms Jegers so much that she got pregnant two years earlier than initially planned, just to get away from Clare.

She no longer performs at the retailer.

Police prosecutors stated Ms Jegers was so fearful of Clare she could not attend court for his sentencing.

‘Serious blip’ in an otherwise quiet life

Clare’s lawyer told the court his client was nonetheless employed by Woolworths in Moe and had worked for the company for 28 years.

He said the case was a serious blip in an otherwise quiet life.

He mentioned the concerns with Ms Jegers began as a reputable workplace concern about Clare’s back difficulties and he had overreacted.

But that was disputed by police prosecutor Senior Constable Jodi Thoroughgood, who stated it was a period of extended and systematic abuse that created it a psychologically unsafe workplace.

In sentencing, Magistrate Franz Holzer told Clare he was fortunate to have such a supportive employer, following generating his victims’ lives a living hell for 3 years.

He said the firm had not provided a safe workplace and he was shocked Woolworths had not been far more proactive in resolving the predicament sooner.

Clare was sentenced to serve an instant term of six months’ imprisonment, with a minimum of two months.

Woolworths declined the ABC’s request for comment.

Subjects: courts-and-trials, prisons-and-punishment, operate, moe-3825, vic

Agen Sabung Ayam

UK bomb plotter jailed for 40 years

Abid NaseerImage copyright Handout

A Pakistani man extradited from the UK to the US has been sentenced to 40 years in jail for plotting attacks in a number of countries.

Abid Naseer, 29, was sentenced by a federal judge in New York.

US authorities stated he had been element of a plot to attack Manchester, New York City and Copenhagen.

In March, a jury discovered him guilty of providing material help to al-Qaeda and conspiracy to use a destructive device.

Naseer was arrested in the UK in 2009 along with 11 other men suspected of preparing an attack on a purchasing mall in Manchester.

No explosives had been identified but the males were ordered to leave the country. Mr Naseer avoided deportation following a judge ruled it was most likely he would not be protected if he returned to Pakistan.

UK officials arrested him once more in 2010 at the request of US prosecutors.

In 2013 he was extradited to the US, exactly where prosecutors argued Naseer was element of a broader al-Qaeda conspiracy to attack a variety of Western areas, including the New York subway program and a newspaper office in Copenhagen, Denmark.

The US Division of Justice mentioned the plots have been “directed by and co-ordinated with senior al-Qaeda leaders in Pakistan”.

Evidence at Naseer’s trial incorporated a document identified in the raid of the Bin Laden compound and MI5 officers testifying in wigs.

Image copyright Other
Image caption The trial heard from MI5 operatives dressed in wigs and make-up

His defence was largely primarily based on his personal testimony and cross-examining prosecution witnesses.

Prosecutors brought in MI5 agents who had previously tracked Naseer in 2009 at a shopping centre in the UK.

They also relied on the testimony of two co-conspirators who pleaded guilty to the subway plot – Najibullah Zazi and Zarein Ahmedzay.

Prosecutors say coded emails show all three men have been under the direction of the identical al-Qaeda handler.

Bandar Sabung Ayam