Tag Archives: more

$15m to prevent far more fish deaths in WA’s South West

Posted December 08, 2015 22:26:35

A lot more than 30 projects costing practically $ 15 million will get underway to boost water top quality problems in a South West water catchment, plagued by a number of huge fish kills.

About 10,000 fish had been killed in the Vasse-Wonnerup Estuary final year by a toxic algae bloom, right after the same quantity died the earlier year.

The projects contain installing an oxygenation planter, which will improve oxygen in the water, and functioning with local farmers to minimize nutrient run-off.

The State Government’s Royalties for Regions fund will contribute $ 7.15 million, and partner agencies will contribute $ 7.65 million to carry out the projects more than four years.

The projects have been generated by a taskforce set up in response to the mass fish kills.

Water Minister Mia Davies mentioned the estuary’s management had been problematic till then simply because there had been so several agencies involved in distinct elements.

“Actually acquiring everyone to sit down and identify who was responsible for what, possessing ownership for parts of the program, and actually then identifying projects that have been going to make has been a massive component of the dilemma,” she mentioned.

“That’s what this taskforce was about, to accomplish a genuine sense of goal with each other.”

It included representatives from the Division of Water, Water Corporation, City of Busselton, GeoCatch and Western Dairy.

Ms Davies will be handing over her function as chair of the Vasse Taskforce to deputy chair and local Member for Vasse Libby Mettam.

Ms Mettam said there had been a lot of community concern about the fish kills.

“It was an issue that was raised consistently with me for the duration of the election campaign, and I feel that’s where environmental issues sit now,” she said.

“It is neighborhood, financial, and it is an outcome that we all require to see delivered.”

Subjects: fishing-aquaculture, fish, water, vasse-6280

Agen Sabung Ayam

‘Worse than Voldemort’: Trump attacked more than get in touch with for Muslim ban

Updated December 09, 2015 01:40:53

Donald Trump’s contact for a ban on Muslims getting into the United States has been met with scorn and criticism, with Harry Potter author JK Rowling labelling him worse than her fictional villain Voldemort.

Mr Trump, who is the Republican’s presidential front-runner, named for a “total and total shutdown of Muslims getting into the nation”, claiming there was “excellent hatred towards Americans by large segments of the Muslim population”.

“Exactly where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine,” he stated in a earlier statement.

“Until we are in a position to determine and comprehend this dilemma and the unsafe threat it poses, our nation can’t be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in jihad, and have no sense of explanation or respect for human life.”

His announcement of the proposal at a rally in South Carolina was met with cheers.

“How horrible, Voldemort was nowhere near as negative,” Rowling mentioned in a tweet.

US politicians — both Republicans and Democrats — and the United Nations’ refugee agency have also questioned the proposal.

UNHCR spokeswoman Melissa Fleming, asked about Mr Trump’s remarks, said they could endanger the system for resettling Syrian refugees in the US.

“What the candidate you are speaking of was speaking of was an whole population but this also impacts the refugee system,” she mentioned.

Rival Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush said was Mr Trump “unhinged”, even though Marco Rubio said the comments had been “offensive and outlandish”.

External Hyperlink: JK Rowling tweet on Trump

Democrat presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton said the comments had been “reprehensible, prejudiced and divisive”.

“You never get it. This tends to make us significantly less safe,” she tweeted.

Dick Cheney, former Republican vice-president under George W Bush, mentioned banning Muslims would go against everything the US stood for.

“Religious freedom has been a extremely critical part of our history. My ancestors got here since they had been Puritans,” he mentioned.

“It really is a mistaken notion.”

‘We are a weak nation when we allow xenophobia to divide us’

Bernie Sanders, an additional Democrat presidential hopeful, mentioned the comments had been racist and divisive.

“Demagogues throughout our history have attempted to divide us primarily based on race, gender, sexual orientation or nation of origin,” he tweeted.

“Now, Trump and other folks want us to hate all Muslims.

“The United States is a fantastic nation when we stand collectively. We are a weak nation when we let racism and xenophobia to divide us.”

External Hyperlink: Hillary Clinton’s tweet on proposed Muslim ban

Mr Trump’s comments resonated with some Republicans and commentators, including Ann Coulter who tweeted: “Go Trump, go!”

About 100,000 refugees are resettled worldwide each and every year, such as to the US, the biggest recipient beneath the UNHCR’s system.

The screening method takes up to two years and priority is offered to the most vulnerable, like girls, Ms Fleming said.

“The [Obama] administration has been standing by the system. This is most scrutinised population coming into the United States,” she added.

Up to 40 US governors had spoken out against the resettlement plan, the UNHCR mentioned.

“We are concerned that the rhetoric that is getting used in the election campaign is putting an incredibly essential resettlement system at risk that is meant for the most vulnerable men and women — the victims of the wars that the planet is unable to quit,” Ms Fleming stated.

External Link: Donald Trump tweet
External Link: Bernie Sanders tweet about Trump
External Hyperlink: Marco Rubio tweet on Trump
External Link: Jeb Bush tweet on Trump
External Hyperlink: Ann Coulter tweet on Trump

ABC/Reuters

Subjects: us-elections, political-parties, government-and-politics, planet-politics, refugees, immigration, united-states

Initial posted December 09, 2015 00:57:45

Agen Sabung Ayam

Two males charged with attempted murder more than Melbourne shooting

Posted December 08, 2015 20:02:33

Two men have been charged with attempted murder soon after a man was shot in the stomach in Melbourne’s north-west.

The 25-year-old was found in the auto park of a fast meals outlet in Broadmeadows final week and is still in a critical condition in hospital.

Investigators believed an altercation took spot on nearby Northcorp Boulevard, exactly where the man was shot.

Police charged a 35-year-old Brunswick West man on Tuesday with attempted murder and intentionally causing serious injury.

A 32-year-old man from Hadfield was charged with the identical offences final Friday.

Police have also appealed for public help in discovering a black ute noticed leaving the scene.

Officers said the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado ute, with the number plate AGJ604, was spotted travelling south on Sydney Road, prior to getting driven west-bound on Box Forrest Road in Hadfield.

Police have urged anyone with data to speak to them.

Subjects: law-crime-and-justice, broadmeadows-3047

Agen Sabung Ayam

Victoria Police give notice of strike action more than pay dispute

Posted December 08, 2015 08:02:14

Victoria Police say they could take industrial action as early as next week, unless a spend deal is reached with the State Government.

The Police Association has provided formal notice of the action, following months of negotiations.

“We’re committed to try and attain agreement by the end of the week,” Police Association Victoria Secretary Ron Iddles said.

“If that’s profitable then there won’t be industrial action but the membership have voted overwhelmingly to support industrial action which would commence on Monday.”

Members want a five per cent spend rise more than three years, as nicely as penalty prices for weekends and public holidays.

Mr Iddles stated the proposed actions have been designed to hurt Government income, not the public.

“We would park marked cars at speed camera sites, not situation penalty notices. That’ll have a key effect financially on the Government,” he said.

“The final enterprise bargaining round, it was costing the Government about $ 11 million a week in lost revenue from speed camera fines.”

Far more on this story:

Subjects: police, unions, melbourne-3000

Agen Sabung Ayam

Man remanded more than ‘terrorist incident’ at London tube station

Updated December 07, 2015 23:57:01

A 29-year-old man charged with attempted murder following a knife attack in London’s east that police described as a terrorist incident has been remanded in custody.

Essential points

  • Man, 29, charged more than London underground stabbing remanded in custody
  • Police described the attack at Leytonstone station as a terrorist incident
  • Accused will seem at the Old Bailey on Friday

Wearing a grey T-shirt and grey tracksuit bottoms, Muhaydin Mire of east London spoke only to confirm his name, age and address at Westminster Magistrates’ Court.

One particular man, 56, suffered critical but not life-threatening injuries in the attack at Leytonstone underground station, about 10 kilometres east of central London, even though a second individual suffered minor injuries.

Eyewitnesses said the attacker had reportedly shouted out “this is for Syria”.

Prosecutor David Cawthorne stated the attack occurred on Saturday evening (local time) as the victim walked through the station.

“It was a violent, sustained and unprovoked attack during which the victim was punched, knocked to the ground and repeatedly kicked on the ground,” he stated.

The victim suffered a 12-centimetre wound to his neck and was in surgery for five hours, he stated.

Mire was remanded in custody to seem at London’s central criminal court, the Old Bailey, on Friday.

Britain is on its second-highest safety alert level of “extreme”, meaning a militant attack is deemed extremely likely, though not imminent, primarily since of the threat posed by Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq.

British safety forces have thwarted seven terrorism plots in the previous year, authorities mentioned.

Final week, British war planes joined air strikes for the first time against IS fighters in Syria.

After the attacks claimed by Islamic State militants in Paris on November 13, which killed 130 men and women, police in London said they had boosted the quantity of armed officers in a position to respond to any incidents.

Deputy Chief Constable Adrian Hanstock from the British Transport Police mentioned the number of firearms teams had doubled in the last year and they had boosted the quantity of officers and patrols across the London underground network in response to Saturday’s stabbing.

“We function very closely with all our intelligence partners and if we do have any indication there is probably to be anything important we intervene,” he told BBC radio.

Reuters

Topics: terrorism, neighborhood-and-society, law-crime-and-justice, united-kingdom

Initial posted December 07, 2015 20:06:00

Agen Sabung Ayam

British police charge man more than ‘terrorist incident’ at London tube station

Posted December 07, 2015 20:06:00

British police have charged a man with attempted murder after a knife attack at an east London underground station on Saturday evening which was described by police as a terrorist incident.

Police stated 29-year-old Muhaydin Mire, of east London, would appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court later on Monday (regional time).

1 man, 56, suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries in the attack at Leytonstone underground station, about 10 kilometres east of central London, even though a second particular person suffered minor injuries.

Eyewitnesses mentioned the attacker had reportedly shouted out “this is for Syria”.

Britain is on its second-highest safety alert level of “severe”, meaning a militant attack is deemed extremely likely, although not imminent, mainly because of the threat posed by Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq.

Last week, British war planes joined air strikes for the first time against IS fighters in Syria.

Some politicians have warned that the choice would make Britain a target for reprisal attacks, but prime minister David Cameron mentioned IS had already planned to target Britain.

Authorities mentioned British security forces had thwarted seven terrorism plots in the previous year.

Soon after the numerous roving attacks by militants in Paris final month which left 130 people dead, London police said they had boosted the quantity of armed officers in a position to respond to incidents.

Deputy chief constable Adrian Hanstock from the British Transport Police said the quantity of firearms teams had doubled in the final year and they had boosted the number of officers and patrols across the London underground network in response to Saturday’s stabbing.

“We perform extremely closely with all our intelligence partners and if we do have any indication there is probably to be one thing substantial we intervene,” he told BBC radio.

Reuters

Subjects: terrorism, community-and-society, law-crime-and-justice, united-kingdom

Agen Sabung Ayam

Iraq calls on Turkey to ‘immediately’ withdraw troops sent more than the border

Posted December 05, 2015 19:48:32

The Iraqi government has demanded Turkey withdraw soldiers it sent over the border to an region in the country’s north controlled by Islamic State militants.

Turkish media reported that around 150 Turkish soldiers backed by 20 to 25 tanks had been sent by road to the Bashiqa region north-east of Mosul, the city that is the Islamic State (IS) jihadist group’s main hub in Iraq.

Peshmerga forces from Iraq’s autonomous Kurdish area are deployed in the location, and Turkey’s Anatolia news agency said the troops have been there to train them.

The Iraqi premier’s workplace named on Ankara to “right away” withdraw the troops and tanks, saying they had been deployed without Baghdad’s consent.

“The Iraqi authorities call on Turkey to … right away withdraw from Iraqi territory,” the statement mentioned.

“We have confirmation that Turkish forces, numbering about one particular armoured regiment with a quantity of tanks and artillery, entered Iraqi territory … allegedly to train Iraqi groups, without having a request or authorisation from Iraqi federal authorities.”

The deployment “is deemed a serious violation of Iraqi sovereignty.”

IS overran swathes of territory north and west of Baghdad last year, and Iraqi forces backed by US-led air strikes are battling to drive the jihadists back.

The Peshmerga are 1 of the most successful Iraqi forces in the anti-IS fight, but coordination in between them and the federal government in Baghdad has normally been poor.

AFP/ABC

Topics: unrest-conflict-and-war, planet-politics, foreign-affairs, government-and-politics, iraq, turkey

Agen Sabung Ayam

Mexico detains 3 males more than suspected murder of WA surfers

Updated December 05, 2015 10:29:37

Mexican authorities say they have arrested 3 males and are searching for two a lot more who are accused of robbing and killing two Australian surfers.

The attorney-common of Sinaloa state mentioned the West Australians Dean Lucas and Adam Coleman were travelling from the port of Topolobampo to Guadalajara on the coastal freeway in the early hours of November 21.

The five men have been accused of stopping them at gunpoint by acting as police.

The attorney-common stated the Australian men reportedly realised they had been becoming robbed and attempted to fight them off, but had been instantly shot and killed.

The gang is accused of robbing them and driving the Australians’ van to another place exactly where the quantity plate was stolen and the car was burnt.

The bodies are now undergoing DNA analysis.

More to come.

Topics: law-crime-and-justice, crime, mexico

Very first posted December 05, 2015 ten:12:22

Agen Sabung Ayam

States can take lead more than climate alter action: Weatherill

Posted December 05, 2015 09:18:34

States and regions have the capacity to tackle climate adjust even if national governments discover it hard to attain agreements, South Australia’s Premier Jay Weatherill has mentioned.

Mr Weatherill and other provincial leaders met UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon in Paris on Friday as talks continued in the French capital on a worldwide climate deal.

He stated sub-national governments had been a major force in tackling climate change.

“Territory and regional governments are investing in their transport systems, their energy systems, and their waste systems,” Mr Weatherill stated.

“It falls to state and regional governments and cities to take these methods because there’s been so much paralysis at an international level in action on global warming.”

South Australia is 1 of the chairs of the Climate Group States and Regions Alliance, which contains Victoria, New South Wales, the ACT, as well as several Canadian provinces, American states and European regions.

Mr Weatherill mentioned the meeting was told of South Australia’s program to turn into carbon neutral by 2050.

“We’re already out there carrying out it, and if there are troubles in national governments reaching these agreements, then we can attain agreements at a sub-national government level and get on with the enterprise of really taking on international warming.”

Mr Weatherill’s delegation will be in Paris till Tuesday, and he will be speaking at other international forums.

“We want to offer ourselves as a test bed for new technologies and new concepts that will not only lead us in the fight against worldwide warming, but develop the jobs of the future,” he said.

Subjects: climate-adjust, atmosphere, france, adelaide-5000, sa

Agen Sabung Ayam

‘Sickening blow’: Police charge man more than Gold Coast attack on Korean student

Posted December 04, 2015 07:53:21

A man has been charged for allegedly kicking a Korean student in the head and robbing him even though unconscious outside a Gold Coast karaoke bar.

Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Procter stated two guys approached the student and his companion outside the bar in Southport Mall early on Wednesday morning.

1 man distracted the pair and the other kicked one of the students in the head.

“You will see by the footage it is very a sickening blow, it is quite an unsavoury matter and we’d like to get it dealt with as soon as we could,” Detective Procter said.

“The victim was rendered unconscious right away. The other victim was chased off by the two offenders.

“The two offenders returned to the Korean national exactly where they proceeded to go by way of his pockets and steal his phone.

“If people could view the footage closely, if anybody must recognise these folks if they could speak to Crime Stoppers instantly.”

The injured student was treated at the Gold Coast University Hospital but was not admitted.

A 26-year-old man from Labrador handed himself in and was charged with armed robbery and assault occasioning bodily harm, Queensland Police said in a statement.

He is due to appear before the Southport Magistrates Court nowadays.

Topics: assault, southport-4215

Agen Sabung Ayam