Tag Archives: point

Expressions of Interest open for Macquarie Point redevelopment

Posted December 05, 2015 14:33:42

The Macquarie Point Improvement Corporation has advertised for expressions of interest for what has been touted as a $ 1 billion project.

State Development Minister Matthew Groom mentioned the level of interest in the redevelopment of Hobart’s Macquarie Point ought to be clearer within a couple of months.

“This is about an invitation to the nation and the planet to come to Hobart, Tasmania and be component of one of the most exciting redevelopment opportunities that is at present on supply in this country” he said.

The project is expected to contain residential, cultural, commercial and scientific facilities.

Macquarie Point Corporation CEO Elizabeth Jack stated she had already had discussions with interested developers.

“This will be a really long-term project but that does not mean developers won’t be attracted,” she mentioned.

“We’re genuinely fortunate we’ve had a discussions with a number of developers, not just Tasmanian, but these from interstate and overseas.”

In June the Corporation released a master plan for the website.

It integrated a mix of residential and office space, tourism facilities such as a hotel, Antarctic investigation facilities and public spaces.

Hobart attractive to developers, minister

Mr Groom said Hobart was observed as a profitable investment chance by developers.

“The conversation nationally has changed when it comes to Hobart and Tasmania,” he said.

“In the previous there may possibly have been a query about the relative merits of investing in Hobart versus a Melbourne or Sydney but that is not the present perception.”

Ms Jack said the State Government’s method to try and boost the Tasmania’s population would be a further boon for the project.

“After we start off to see an improve in our populations when we see some of the point being put in spot now reaping those returns I don’t believe we will have an situation receiving developers and investors here,” she stated

Developers have until March to lodge their expressions of interest and the approach is anticipated to be comprehensive in 12 months.

Initial improvement is due to start off in 2017.

Remediation operate on the contaminated, former industrial website has currently begun.

The Corporation will foot the bill for remediation performs from a $ 45 million Federal Government grant.

Council wants stronger voice at the table

Hobart’s Lord Mayor, Sue Hickey, stated it “does seem to have been a really extended time” waiting for expressions of interest to be called for.

She said it would be good to see what improvement possibilities are out there

“We won’t know till we test the market” she stated.

Ms Hickey mentioned the Council would decide on Monday whether to hold pushing for a seat on the Macquarie Point board.

“At the finish of the day this improvement will come back into the hands of Hobart City Council for upkeep and care,” she said.

Ms Jack mentioned the Hobart City Council was a “strategic companion” and currently had a robust voice in the procedure.

“We have a very very good working connection with the Council, I meet often with the Basic Manager of the Council land our Chair meets with the Lord Mayor,” she mentioned.

Subjects: urban-development-and-arranging, community-and-society, local-government, government-and-politics, hobart-7000

Agen Sabung Ayam

Demerit point strategy to free up disability parking in SA

Posted December 05, 2015 11:44:22

Drivers who illegally use a parking space for men and women with a disability in South Australia could quickly be issued with a demerit point in addition to a fine below a new program.

The State Government has backed the laws proposed by Dignity for Disability MLC Kelly Vincent, and is investigating ways to implement the alter.

Ms Vincent stated the current fines program was not a powerful enough deterrent with her workplace getting several complaints about the “very widespread difficulty”.

“I think individuals will feel twice if they are to risk acquiring a demerit point, specifically if they are a younger driver who may possibly not be on their full licence and cannot afford to shed demerit points,” she stated.

“It will send a stronger message and I feel that has been the expertise in New South Wales exactly where these laws have been introduced.

“It is crucial to keep in mind this is not about comfort.

“This is about somebody who might or may not use a wheelchair or mobility help or may not be in a position to walk very far to get to a certain venue … it is also about security.”

Ms Vincent stated men and women in wheelchairs were less visible in vehicle parks due to their seated position which could create dangers if a disability park was not offered.

She also noted some people who utilised wheelchairs and aids necessary to ask strangers to back their cars out of standard parks because there was not sufficient room to enable them to put their gear in the vehicle.

Ms Vincent stated the State Government was in discussions with regional governments about how to implement the alterations.

It is hoped the new law will be in location subsequent year.

Topics: visitors-offences, law-crime-and-justice, disabilities, states-and-territories, government-and-politics, adelaide-5000, sa

Agen Sabung Ayam

Lingmerth tops PGA Championship leaderboard at half-way point

Posted December 04, 2015 19:46:31

David Lingmerth plays a shot during round two of the PGA Championship Photo: World quantity 49 David Lingmerth leads the field soon after round two. (Getty Photos: Bradley Kanaris)
Map: Robina 4226

Swede David Lingmerth says it feels “surreal” to be best of the Australian PGA Championship following two windswept rounds at Royal Pines on the Gold Coast.

Lingmerth is one stroke clear, sitting on 3-under-par right after his 4-below 68 on Friday and sits atop a leaderboard largely dominated by internationals.

Backing up from his initial round effort on what he described as a “crazy” very first day, Lingmerth produced six birdies and appears to be one particular of couple of golfers with a good manage on the new-appear course and the windy conditions.

But the world number 49 mentioned he nevertheless did feel confident with six players just a single shot behind him at two-under.

“I know that I’ve won on the PGA Tour, almost certainly the strongest tour in the globe and I know I can do it,” Lingmerth said.

“Of course that gives me some self-confidence going into the weekend but at the same time, these are all players that can shoot seven, eight under, each rounds out there more than the weekend.

“I’m going to have to play quite nicely to win but I do feel like I ought to have a excellent shot.”

Lingmerth mentioned he was disappointed prime drawcard Brandt Snedeker failed to make the cut, the 34-year-old American crashing out with an awful 15-over-par for the tournament.

“I want to beat him actually bad … but you want to beat the ideal players at their very best, that is what offers you self-assurance and strength,” he mentioned.

The ideal-placed Australian is Canberra’s Matthew Millar, who is one of the six players tied for second along with South African pair Dylan Frittelli and Zander Lombard, Englishman Mark Foster, American Peter Uihlein and Spain’s Pablo Martin Benavides.

The day’s ideal functionality came from US-primarily based Aussie Rhein Gibson, the New South Welshman shooting a course record 8-beneath-par 64 to be two shots off the lead at 1-beneath.

Gibson set the course alight despite beginning with back-to-back bogeys but got it going on the ninth with the very first of his two eagles for the day as he went nine under via his final ten holes.

The course record just another day out for Gibson, the holder of a Guinness Planet Record for the greatest score ever recorded – a 16-below-par 55 he carded in an out-of-competition round with close friends in Oklahoma three years ago.

“To be in a position to do that on a Friday to make the cut and get back in contention, it’s most likely greater than a 55,” mentioned Gibson, level with four other individuals in eighth place.

Amongst these to miss the cut along with Snedeker included defending champion Greg Chalmers and Masters winner Peter Senior.

Pre-tournament favourite John Senden, who had a shocker on the greens and twice discovered the water in his 5-more than round, was fortunate to finish the round on the appropriate side of the reduce-line, but did so only just


External Hyperlink: Australian PGA Championship scoreboard

Subjects: golf, sport, robina-4226, qld, australia

Agen Sabung Ayam

‘We are at breaking point’: Hollande launches global climate deal push

Updated November 30, 2015 23:20:11

French president Francois Hollande has opened the Paris climate modify summit warning world leaders they require to be ready to commit to meaningful action to fight worldwide warming.

More than 150 globe leaders — such as Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull — have arrived in Paris to attend the United Nations talks, armed with promises and accompanied by higher expectations as they appear to hold back the Earth’s increasing temperature.

Key points

  • Hollande says the fights against worldwide warming and terrorism are closely linked
  • Planet leaders are below stress to keep away from the anti-climactic talks in Copenhagen in 2009
  • As the world’s greatest emitters, China and the US have pledged to lead the way

Mr Hollande reiterated that a deal to try to hold any additional increase in global temperatures to beneath two degrees Celsius required to be “universal, differentiated and binding”, with richer countries contributing a lot more than poorer ones.

“I can’t separate the fight with terrorism from the fight against global warming,” he mentioned at the opening of the talks.

“These are two large global challenges we have to face up to, simply because we have to leave our youngsters a lot more than a world freed of terror, we also owe them a planet protected from catastrophes.”

World peace is at stake in the talks, he mentioned.

Soon after decades of struggling negotiations marked by the failure of a previous summit in Copenhagen six years ago, some form of landmark agreement seems all but assured by mid-December.

External Link: ABC correspondent Lisa Millar at COP 21

Mr Hollande warned that there could not be a vague agreement.

“To resolve the climate crisis, very good will, statements of intent are not enough,” Mr Hollande stated, telling world leaders that the future of humanity rested on their shoulders.

“We are at breaking point.”

Warnings from climate scientists, demands from activists and exhortations from religious leaders like Pope Francis, coupled with significant advances in cleaner power sources like solar power, have all added to stress to cut the carbon emissions held responsible for warming the planet.

Most scientists say failure to agree on robust measures in Paris would doom the globe to ever-hotter typical temperatures, bringing with them deadlier storms, more frequent droughts and rising sea levels as polar ice caps melt.

As the summit opened in Paris, the capitals of the world’s two most populous nations, China and India, had been blanketed in hazardous, choking smog, with regulators in Beijing asking factories to limit output and halting construction work.

On the eve of the summit, hundreds of thousands of people from Australia to Paraguay joined the largest day of climate alter activism in history, telling world leaders there was “No Planet B” in the fight against worldwide warming.

“This previous year has been a turning point,” Christiana Figueres, the UN’s climate chief, told delegates.

Arriving in a sombre city exactly where safety has been tightened right after Islamist militant attacks that killed 130 folks on November 13, every single leader will be permitted a brief opening speech, just a couple of minutes extended.

US, China pledge to push for climate deal in Paris

US president Barack Obama and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping have pledged to operate with each other for a climate adjust agreement that ensures a “low carbon international economy” this century.

At the start of bilateral talks held on the sidelines of the Paris gathering, Mr Obama mentioned the two countries’ decision to make their personal emissions-reduction pledges final year had helped drive other nations to comply with suit.

US president Barack Obama shakes hands with Chinese president Xi Jinping. Photo: US president Barack Obama shakes hands with Chinese president Xi Jinping during their meeting. (Reuters: Kevin Lamarque)

“As the two largest economies in the planet and the two largest carbon emitters, we have both determined that it is our responsibility to take action,” Mr Obama mentioned, with Mr Xi sitting subsequent to him.

“Our leadership on this issue has been totally essential.”

Mr Obama mentioned the two countries would perform collectively at the talks to accomplish an agreement that moves toward a low carbon global economy this century and “robust” monetary help for developing nations adapting to climate adjust.

Mr Xi said the two countries would work side by side to ensure the Paris conference accomplished its objectives, and he noted that cooperation amongst the United States and China at a time of multiple international challenges was essential.

“The world economy is recovering slowly, terrorism is on the rise and climate change is a enormous challenge. There is far more instability and uncertainty in [the] international situation,” Mr Xi mentioned by means of a translator.

The world’s two biggest carbon emitters, after on opposite sides on climate concerns, agreed in 2014 to jointly kick-begin a transition away from fossil fuels, every at their own speed and in their own way.

That partnership has been a balm for the principal source of tension that characterised earlier talks, in which the developing world argued that countries that grew rich by industrialising on fossil fuels need to spend the price of shifting all economies to a renewable energy future.


Subjects: climate-adjust, atmosphere, activism-and-lobbying, world-politics, climate, france

1st posted November 30, 2015 23:11:27

Agen Sabung Ayam

Deal to have MONA style public space in Macquarie Point questioned

Posted November 30, 2015 18:24:21

Macquarie Point master plan overview Photo: The development will be landlocked with Sullivans Cove and the TasPorts-run Macquarie Wharf separating it from the waterfront. (Supplied: Macquarie Point Improvement Corporation)
Connected Story: Waterfront improvement could be ‘Hobart’s Opera Property moment’
Map: Hobart 7000

Inquiries are being raised about a deal to have the Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) curate the public spaces of the $ 1 billion Macquarie Point redevelopment in Hobart.

The Macquarie Point Improvement Corporation will soon contract the museum’s curators to oversee the style of two main public spaces – Goods Shed Plaza and Goods Shed Park.

But Tasmanian developer Brendon Bourke mentioned the deal lacked transparency.

“There seems to be a lack of transparency in these sort of projects in Tasmania that are Government run,” he mentioned.

“MONA may possibly nicely be the greatest, but how would we know? I don’t know what the criteria was: how they had been chosen? By whom they have been chosen?

“That appears to be an problem for a lot of Tasmanian architects, designers and constructors.”

The proposed deal followed the good results of Dark Mofo, which converted the disused rail yards into Dark Park, attracting 76,000 people.

Hobart architect Tim Penny mentioned involving the arts neighborhood produced sense.

“It’s a good idea [but] I’m not entirely positive it really is going to value the development,” he said.

The corporation’s Elizabeth Jack disagreed, arguing MONA’s contribution would invigorate the space.

“It adds [value] for the developers but it also adds value for people that will be living and functioning here very first,” she stated.

Each the corporation and MONA mentioned there would be an opportunity for architects to be involved.

MONA stated there would be public consultation during the next six to 12 months as it worked on a idea for the public space.

Site’s master plan is confused, critics say

Mr Penny questioned whether there would be any developer interest in the wider internet site, saying the master strategy, which was released in June, is aspirational but confused.

“I suspect if they released the packages now, it would just fizzle,” he mentioned.

Mr Bourke agreed that the master plan was confused.

“I nevertheless have no great idea of what they’re aiming for, what they’re large picture is, what their philosophy is,” he said.

But Ms Jack stated there had been strong interest from developers and an expressions of interest process will open in mid-December.

The value of the contract with MONA will be created public when it is finalised in coming days.

Subjects: urban-improvement-and-preparing, hobart-7000

Agen Sabung Ayam

‘I don’t give a damn’: Minister defends demerit point rise for mobile use

Posted November 25, 2015 16:35:52

Gay raising penalties for drivers who use mobiles Photo: Drivers who use their mobiles behind the wheel are set to face harsher penalties. (AAP: Nikki Quick)

NSW Road Minister Duncan Gay has said he is being “deliberately difficult” in raising demerit points for drivers caught using mobile phones.

And this year, for the initial time, the State Government will incorporate mobile telephone offences in the double-demerit penalty period over Christmas and New Year.

Individuals caught speaking on a mobile telephone or texting while driving from the December 24 to January three will shed six points.

From subsequent year, the regular penalty for mobile phone offences will improve from 3 to four demerit points.

“Subsequent year, when it jumps to four points, it’ll be eight points when you happen to be caught (throughout the double-demerit period),” Mr Gay stated.

“Now you might feel this is a bit tough, I don’t give a damn. We’re deliberately generating it challenging.”

Get Your Hand Off It a accomplishment: Gay

Mr Gay stated the Get Your Hand Off It campaign had been a accomplishment.

Police figures showed the quantity of fines issued had dropped from 52,000 to 32,000 since the campaign started along with a fine boost to $ 319.

“That is why we’re going to the subsequent step – 32,000 is nevertheless as well many, and as we drive around we nonetheless see as well many carrying out the wrong issue.”

Bernard Carlon from the Centre for Road Safety mentioned a driver was 20 times far more probably to crash if they had been texting whilst driving.

“Travelling at 60kph, you can travel 33 metres in two seconds blind if you are searching at your phone,” he mentioned.

“At one hundred kilometres per hour if you have your eyes off the road, you travel the length of an Olympic swimming pool.”

He reminded L-platers and P1 drivers that they could not use a telephone while behind the wheel.

Mr Carlon mentioned the road toll had lowered by one particular-third over previous double-demerit point periods.

There have been 317 deaths on the road this year, which is 34 far more than at the identical time last year.

Subjects: road, state-parliament, nsw, australia

Agen Sabung Ayam