Tag Archives: police

41 killed in horrific police bus crash in Argentina

Updated December 15, 2015 02:00:13

About 41 individuals have died following a bus carrying police officers was driven off a bridge in Argentina, an emergency official says.

The bus was carrying 60 officers from Argentina’s gendarmerie, which patrols the country’s borders, when it flipped and plunged far more than 15 metres into a dry riverbed in the northern Salta province.

Salta borders Bolivia, Chile and Paraguay.

The new death toll from emergency officials in Salta province was a lot more than double that originally given by a nearby mayor.

The death toll may rise as rescue crews have been functioning to free others who had been trapped.

Ten police officers had been hospitalised, 4 of them in serious condition, emergency chief Francisco Marinaro told a regional radio station.

The driver lost control of the bus as it began to cross a bridge and it tumbled into the ravine, nearby police stated in a statement.

Visibility was very good at the time of the crash, police stated, adding that officials had not ruled out mechanical failure as the trigger.

President Mauricio Macri, elected final month on a platform that incorporated enhancing Argentina’s rural roads, sent his condolences to households of the victims of the crash.

“We require to boost our highways so these things do not keep happening,” he told reporters.

Rosario de la Frontera Mayor Gustavo Solis mentioned the trigger of the crash was still unknown.

He stated the road where the crash occurred was recognized to be in poor situation.

“These of us who know the location try to keep away from driving at night,” he said.

External Hyperlink: Map of the Argentina bus crash involving a busload of police officers in the northern Salta province.

AFP/Reuters

Subjects: road-transport, police, argentina

1st posted December 15, 2015 01:12:50

Agen Sabung Ayam

Domestic violence orders against Queensland police officers double in 2015

Updated December 14, 2015 20:02:34

Associated Story: Domestic violence funding in focus as national summit announced
Related Story: Calls for support a lot more than double to Queensland domestic violence line

The quantity of Queensland police officers subject to domestic violence orders (DVOs) has far more than doubled in a year, outstripping the improve in the wider neighborhood.

Figures obtained under Right to Info by the ABC showed that in 2015, so far 50 officers have had DVOs taken out against then, up from 24 in 2014 and 20 in 2013.

Police Commissioner Ian Stewart stated it was a “sadly a reflection of our own neighborhood, that is been proven time and time again”.

“We have extremely, very robust requirements about this and we deal with these on a case-by-case basis,” he mentioned.

Police officers were prohibited by law from carrying a firearm while subject to a DVO, which meant they have been properly deskbound.

Queensland Police Union president Ian Leavers stated even though he in no way condoned domestic violence, he mentioned given the impact on an officer’s career by being taken off the road he believed some partners had been making use of DVOs as leverage in partnership breakdowns.

“Tragically what I do see throughout society is some folks will misuse the domestic violence legislation for their own personal gains,” he said.

Mr Leavers also blamed the boost in DVOs, in portion, on the psychological effect of policing.

“I was at an information session on post-traumatic anxiety and what it essentially says is most police [officers]with 5 years or a lot more service have some form of post-traumatic stress,” he mentioned.

“That destroys relationships and that could, or could not, lead to domestic violence.”

Even with doubling of the DVOs against police officers, the rate was about half of that of the wider neighborhood.

Police statistics showed there have been 25,661 DVOs taken out in Queensland in 2014/15, which was up 6.two per cent on the year ahead of at 24,155.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk stated the increase was not necessarily a undesirable factor.

“The awareness that’s happening out there in the media is generating folks report and that is a great point since they are obtaining the assist that they require,” Ms Palaszczuk mentioned.

At last week’s Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting, Ms Palaszczuk committed to hosting a national domestic violence summit in Queensland towards the finish of subsequent year.

Topics: police, domestic-violence, activism-and-lobbying, household-law, family, qld

First posted December 14, 2015 20:01:18

Agen Sabung Ayam

‘Shots fired by men’ in the course of police pursuit from Gundagai to Yass

Posted December 13, 2015 12:36:24

Map: Yass 2582

Shots were fired in the course of a police pursuit and arrest at Yass in southern New South Wales, police say.

Police mentioned they were called to the Hume Highway at Gundagai about two:00am today following reports of a break and enter at a organization.

Two guys driving a ute were pursued from Gundagai to Yass for close to two hours, for the duration of which officers allege a quantity of shots had been fired by the guys.

About 3:40am, the males, both aged 23 from the ACT, stopped at a service centre at Yass, exactly where police said they forced the driver of a Ford Falcon out of his car at gunpoint.

Each men have been arrested at the service centre and had been taken to Yass Police Station.

Police mentioned at least a single firearm was seized for forensic examination.

An independent critical incident group from Monaro Neighborhood Location Command will now investigate all situations surrounding the incident, like the discharge of a police firearm in the course of the arrests.

Topics: crime, police, law-crime-and-justice, site visitors-offences, yass-2582, canberra-2600, act, bega-2550, nsw

Agen Sabung Ayam

Police converge on Cronulla as ‘halal-free’ barbecue held

Posted December 12, 2015 12:28:09

A man draped in an Australian flag stands over a spit-roasting pig. Photo: Anti-Islam protesters hold a “halal-totally free” barbecue at Cronulla on the 10th anniversary of race riots. (ABC News: David Spicer)
Map: Cronulla 2230

Police and media have converged on the Sydney suburb of Cronulla on the 10th anniversary of violent race riots, outnumbering a group of self-described patriots attending a “halal-totally free” barbecue.

More than a hundred officers are on standby to guard against any outbreak of violence, soon after the NSW Supreme Court and the Federal Court in Sydney each created rulings to stop a rally commemorating the riots getting held.

External Hyperlink: Cronulla Helicopter Tweet

Celebration for Freedom chairman Nicholas Folkes was ordered not to hold a “memorial” rally on the grounds that it would stir up racial hatred.

He branded the choices “sharia” law just before pledging to hold the “halal-free of charge” barbecue.

Today, about 50 supporters of a self-described patriots organisation gathered near the suburb’s sand dunes for the meal, which integrated a pig on a spit-roast.

On December 11 2005, racial tensions in the region exploded when Middle Easterners and other men and women of non-Anglo appearance had been set upon by crowds of white Australians, several of whom had been drinking heavily.

The bloody weekend shocked Australians of all backgrounds, leading to years of soul-browsing and community applications aimed at mending bridges among Sydney’s communities.

Topics: police, cronulla-2230

Agen Sabung Ayam

Third bomber at Paris Bataclan concert hall identified: police

Updated December 09, 2015 19:41:48

Related Story: Eagles of Death Metal make tearful return to Bataclan theatre
Map: France

A 23-year-old man from the eastern French city of Strasbourg has been identified as the third bomber involved in the attacks at Paris’s Bataclan concert hall, police sources say.

Foued Mohamed Aggad went to Syria with his brother and a group of friends at the finish of 2013, according to a source close to the investigation.

Most of the others have been arrested in spring final year upon their return to France, but Aggad stayed on in Syria, the source said.

Aggad was identified at the finish of final week after his DNA was matched with these of his household members, the police source said.

Ninety men and women died in the Bataclan attacks on November 13.

The two other bombers have been identified as Omar Ismail Mostefai, 29, and Samy Amimour, 28.

AFP

Subjects: terrorism, police, france, syrian-arab-republic

First posted December 09, 2015 19:30:22

Agen Sabung Ayam

Young people ‘pre-load’ tablets to steer clear of police, SA MP says

Posted December 09, 2015 15:54:24

A zero-tolerance strategy to drugs is not functioning and harm minimisation techniques are required, according to a South Australian Labor MP.

Following the deaths of two young men and women at Stereosonic music festivals in Australia recently, like one particular in Adelaide, Labor Member for Fisher Nat Cook has called for changes in the state’s method to drug policing.

She mentioned having police sniffer dogs and police outdoors music festivals was forcing young people to make dangerous choices.

Ms Cook has a concentrate on youth and substance abuse problems, soon after her son Sam Davis was killed in a a single-punch attack.

“I have been on the ground and I have talked to young folks and the young men and women I’ve spoken to have told me that they pre-load multiple pills due to the fact they don’t want to get caught by drug dogs,” Ms Cook said.

“I believe proof from the weekend shows that only a few dozen tablets had been detected outdoors of the festival and then evidence from inside the festival tells us that hundreds, even thousands, of tablets produced it into that festival.”

All I’d say is I believe the police are undertaking a quite tough job in extremely tough situations.

Wellness Minister Jack Snelling

Opposition Liberal Leader Steven Marshall stated Ms Cook’s comments were a enormous departure from Labor Party policy.

“Extraordinary comments from the Member for Fisher who is primarily obtaining a go at the way that police go about tackling drugs in South Australia,” Mr Marshall said.

“I believe the Government demands to come out nowadays and rebuke her comments.”

Health Minister Jack Snelling said he supported Ms Cook, but when questioned would not repeat her views.

“I do not feel there is any doubt Nat Cook has worked extremely hard with our young individuals and attempting to defend our young individuals,” Mr Snelling stated.

“All I’d say is I feel the police are performing a very tough job in really difficult circumstances.”

Ms Cook mentioned she did not believe she was departing from Labor Party policy.

“I think what I am doing is I’m bringing a message to the party space from the neighborhood that young folks are telling me they’re nonetheless taking drugs, they are nevertheless getting drugs into festivals,” she mentioned.

In spite of advocating a harm minimisation method, Ms Cook mentioned she did not help pill testing at festivals.

“I’d like to see great evidence to say that it really does avert death but what I will say is that I’m nervous about it from a individual point of view, my opinion is that we can not guarantee that every little thing is going to get detected at that point,” she mentioned.

That is a position the Wellness Minister does agree with.

“These kind of pills are really tough to detect and I feel it really is a quite, quite important that our message to young men and women,” Mr Snelling stated.

“Our message to society is quite clear and unambiguous: illicit drug taking is inherently unsafe.”

Topics: dance-music, drugs-and-substance-abuse, government-and-politics, states-and-territories, adelaide-5000, sa

Agen Sabung Ayam

Police appeal for data following mother and daughter’s deaths

Posted December 09, 2015 07:50:08

Police are searching for public support as they continue to investigate the deaths of an 11-year-old girl and her mother in Brisbane’s inner west.

Celeste Pearson’s body was located in the bathroom of a unit at Auchenflower early on Tuesday morning.

The physique of her 49-year-old mother was located about 4 hours later at a nearby building site and police think she took her personal life.

Forensic officers and detectives are still operating to establish who is accountable for the death of the girl, who was described as a high academic achiever and was about to finish Year 6 at Milton State College.

Her eight-year-old sister is getting cared for by loved ones and close friends.

Police are urging the public to come forward if they have any information about the family’s history.

Officers are continuing to comb the apartment exactly where the child was located for proof.

Detective Acting Superintendent Geoff Sheldon stated there was a surviving father, 65, who was asleep and uninjured in the unit when they arrived.

Police spoke to the man for hours yesterday and he was released with charge.

Subjects: murder-and-manslaughter, auchenflower-4066, toowong-4066

Agen Sabung Ayam

Victoria Police give notice of strike action more than pay dispute

Posted December 08, 2015 08:02:14

Victoria Police say they could take industrial action as early as next week, unless a spend deal is reached with the State Government.

The Police Association has provided formal notice of the action, following months of negotiations.

“We’re committed to try and attain agreement by the end of the week,” Police Association Victoria Secretary Ron Iddles said.

“If that’s profitable then there won’t be industrial action but the membership have voted overwhelmingly to support industrial action which would commence on Monday.”

Members want a five per cent spend rise more than three years, as nicely as penalty prices for weekends and public holidays.

Mr Iddles stated the proposed actions have been designed to hurt Government income, not the public.

“We would park marked cars at speed camera sites, not situation penalty notices. That’ll have a key effect financially on the Government,” he said.

“The final enterprise bargaining round, it was costing the Government about $ 11 million a week in lost revenue from speed camera fines.”

Far more on this story:

Subjects: police, unions, melbourne-3000

Agen Sabung Ayam

British police charge man more than ‘terrorist incident’ at London tube station

Posted December 07, 2015 20:06:00

British police have charged a man with attempted murder after a knife attack at an east London underground station on Saturday evening which was described by police as a terrorist incident.

Police stated 29-year-old Muhaydin Mire, of east London, would appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court later on Monday (regional time).

1 man, 56, suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries in the attack at Leytonstone underground station, about 10 kilometres east of central London, even though a second particular person suffered minor injuries.

Eyewitnesses mentioned the attacker had reportedly shouted out “this is for Syria”.

Britain is on its second-highest safety alert level of “severe”, meaning a militant attack is deemed extremely likely, although not imminent, mainly because of the threat posed by Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq.

Last week, British war planes joined air strikes for the first time against IS fighters in Syria.

Some politicians have warned that the choice would make Britain a target for reprisal attacks, but prime minister David Cameron mentioned IS had already planned to target Britain.

Authorities mentioned British security forces had thwarted seven terrorism plots in the previous year.

Soon after the numerous roving attacks by militants in Paris final month which left 130 people dead, London police said they had boosted the quantity of armed officers in a position to respond to incidents.

Deputy chief constable Adrian Hanstock from the British Transport Police said the quantity of firearms teams had doubled in the final year and they had boosted the number of officers and patrols across the London underground network in response to Saturday’s stabbing.

“We perform extremely closely with all our intelligence partners and if we do have any indication there is probably to be one thing substantial we intervene,” he told BBC radio.

Reuters

Subjects: terrorism, community-and-society, law-crime-and-justice, united-kingdom

Agen Sabung Ayam

At least 16 dead in petrol bomb attack on Cairo restaurant: police

Posted December 04, 2015 23:26:14

External Link: Cairo petrol bomb attack video footage.

A petrol bomb hurled into a suburban Cairo restaurant has killed 16 folks and wounded two after a fierce blaze broke out, Egyptian safety officials mentioned.

The restaurant, which also operates as a nightclub, was situated in a basement, offering no escape route, the officials mentioned.

A thick cloud of smoke was noticed billowing from the fire-ravaged venue located in the north-western suburb of Agouza.

The victims were burned to death or died from smoke inhalation.

Police have launched a manhunt right after the perpetrator fled the scene.

A single of the officials mentioned the attacker was an employee who had been fired from the restaurant in the Agouza area in the centre of the Egyptian capital.

The interior ministry stated the petrol bomb was hurled after a dispute erupted between restaurant workers and other people.

Whilst Egypt is often hit by extremist violence, specifically targeting security forces, attacks on restaurants or nightclubs are rare.

Inspectors take a look at the burnt restaurant. Photo: A policeman, inspectors and onlookers gather at the entrance of the burnt Cairo restaurant in Agouza. (AFP: Mohamed El Shahed)

Reuters/AFP

Topics: arson, death, police, egypt

Agen Sabung Ayam