Tag Archives: protest

Fishers protest against Government response to Cockburn Sound fish deaths

Posted December 12, 2015 17:50:12

Recreational fishers and conservationists have urged the Western Australian Government to take action to ensure a mass fish death in waters off Perth’s south will not take place once again.

Around 200 people have attended a protest on the Rockingham foreshore, expressing anger at the Government’s response to the deaths in Cockburn Sound.

Far more than two,000 fish from much more than a dozen species have died in the area in recent weeks.

Mystery surrounded the circumstances of those deaths for weeks, before the Government announced recently it believed an algal bloom was accountable.

But some men and women at the protest expressed their doubts about the accuracy of that claim, while also saying the Government’s response to the deaths was slow and inadequate.

“We held the rally simply because we wanted answers to questions due to the fact they have not been answered adequately,” a rally organiser Tim Barlow said.

“If the Government’s response to this had been timely, proportional and transparent we wouldn’t be right here today.”

Mr Barlow mentioned he believed there was further information to come out about the deaths and demanded action to avoid it from happening once more.

There have been also fears from some at the protest that the Mangles Bay marina improvement, on the Point Individual peninsula, would worsen water high quality in the sound.

Labor leader Mark McGowan said there necessary to be an independent inquiry into the incident.

He mentioned there was clear neighborhood doubt more than the answers the Division of Fisheries provided.

“I feel folks are now a bit disbelieving of the answers that are becoming provided … individuals would like far more assurances than what’s been offered,” Mr McGowan mentioned.

“Several people’s social lives and recreational lives depend on the sound and the atmosphere of the sound is extremely important, which is why we want to get to the bottom of what has gone on.”

Fisheries Minister Ken Baston stated the Government was continuing to closely monitor the situation.

“The Department will be functioning closely with the recreational and industrial sectors to monitor fish stocks,” Mr Baston stated in a statement.

“Testing for the microscopic algae responsible for the current fish kill is also continuing.”

Topics: fish, atmosphere, perth-6000

Agen Sabung Ayam

CFMEU members protest outdoors Melbourne court ahead of look by senior officials

Posted December 08, 2015 09:10:18

A huge contingent of police has gathered outside the Melbourne Magistrates Court ahead of an look by union heavyweights John Setka and Shaun Reardon.

Police have been out in force which includes on horseback, outside the court as dozens of CFMEU members gathered to show their support for the state secretary Setka and his deputy Reardon who have been each charged with blackmail on the weekend.

CFMEU members marched outside the court shouting: “Johnny Setka, here to remain! Shaun Reardon, here to keep!”

The charges are linked to a long-operating dispute with concrete firm Boral.

The men had been arrested and charged by a taskforce set up to investigate matters arising from the royal commission into trade union corruption.

The men are expected to seem in court shortly.

Subjects: courts-and-trials, law-crime-and-justice, unions, melbourne-3000

Agen Sabung Ayam

South Korea activists protest labour policies, get in touch with for Park’s apology

Posted December 05, 2015 23:17:55

Protesters at a rally in South Korea Photo: Protesters at an anti-government rally in central Seoul. The the sign in centre reads: “listen to people’s voice”. (Reuters: Kim Hong-Ji)

Tens of thousands of anti-government protesters have marched by means of downtown Seoul, demanding that South Korean president Park Geun-hye apologise for cracking down on a protest last month when farm and labour activists clashed with police.

An estimated crowd of 30,000 individuals, a lot of of them wearing masks in defiance of Ms Park’s call for a ban on mask-wearing during protests.

They marched by way of the city centre behind a banner reading “Resign Park Geun-Hye”, chanting slogans.

Saturday’s rally in the capital drew around 14,000 men and women, according to police estimates, far fewer than the 60,000 that attended the rally on November 14.

It went ahead following a court rejected the government’s request for an injunction produced in the aftermath of the violent scenes at the earlier demonstration, which had been organised by some of the country’s most militant activist groups to protest against Ms Park’s labour marketplace and education policies.

External Hyperlink: Video shows protesters in downtown Seoul calling for president Park Geun-hye to apologise

Ms Park’s conservative government plans to make it achievable for employers to dismiss workers based on functionality and to cap the salaries of senior staff in order to encourage employers to hire younger people and ease youth unemployment.

Activists had been also protesting against Ms Park’s choice to replace privately published college history textbooks with government versions, a move they say is an try to whitewash military dictators’ oppression of democracy and human rights in South Korea till the mid-1980s.

Charges were laid against dozens of men and women in the wake of the rally last month, which saw riot police use water cannon and pepper spray soon after some protesters attacked police with metal pipes and sharpened bamboo sticks.

An arrest warrant has been issued against the head of the militant Korean Confederation of Trade Unions (KCTU), who has taken sanctuary in a Buddhist temple in Seoul, from where, on Saturday, he repeated a get in touch with for a common strike.

“What is our demand? Cease the move to worsen labour circumstances that only fattens capitalists,” KCTU chief Han Sang-gyun stated in his video message to the rally.

KCTU has regularly issued calls for a common strike in current years but the only considerable action taken has been rotating function stoppages at locations exactly where unionised labour is extremely organised.

There is broad public assistance for Ms Park’s labour policy.

A Gallup poll released in September of 1,002 respondents showed more than 70 per cent support for the plan to make firing less complicated and to cap greater income earners’ salaries.

Reuters/AFP

Topics: activism-and-lobbying, world-politics, government-and-politics, korea-republic-of

Agen Sabung Ayam

Victory fans stage walk-out protest over FFA treatment

Posted November 28, 2015 22:16:17

Melbourne Victory’s active supporter group has followed through on its threat to stroll out of the club’s A-League match against Adelaide United.

About 1,000 fans from the North Terrace left Docklands Stadium following half an hour to protest against what they see as heavy-handed remedy by Football Federation Australia (FFA) of banned fans.

The issue reached boiling point right after a list of 198 fans, banned from attending the A-League for anti-social behaviour, was detailed final Sunday in News Corp Australia newspapers.

Fan groups across the A-League have created their displeasure identified with what they see as a lack of help from the governing physique and a privacy breach.

Earlier, Victory’s fan group unveiled banners reading “198 Bans, Appeals” and later, “It is in your hands” – a clear message to FFA.

As they filed out, they had been greeted by warm applause from the Docklands Stadium crowd, demonstrating support for their lead to.

Victory went on to win the match two-1 soon after very first-half targets to Besart Berisha and Oliver Bozanic.

On Friday night, Melbourne City supporter group ‘Melburnians’ chose to vacate their position behind the aim to watch their club’s 5-1 belting of Perth Glory.

Before kick-off, they showed indicators reading “No Fans No Football” and “Terraces Not Terrorists”.

The latter is a reference to Sydney radio personality Alan Jones, who compared A-League fans to terrorists involved in the Paris attacks.

City fans also developed a “We Stand By the 198” banner just before security ripped it up and confiscated it.

Western Sydney supporter group Red and Black Bloc have pledged similar action to the North Terrace on Sunday when they play Central Coast.

AAP

Topics: a-league, soccer, sport, melbourne-3000, vic, australia

Agen Sabung Ayam

Victory go top with 2-1 win over Adelaide as fans stage walk-out protest

Updated November 28, 2015 21:33:09

Melbourne Victory have gone prime of the A-League with a 2-1 win over Adelaide United at Docklands Stadium.

Besart Berisha and Oliver Bozanic got the ambitions in the very first half in a match which featured a walk-out from about 1,000 Victory fans more than the FFA’s remedy of 198 fans on its banned list.

Marcelo Carrusca slotted a objective in the dying stages but the Victory hung on to leapfrog Brisbane into first spot on the ladder.

Far more to come.

Subjects: a-league, soccer, sport, melbourne-3000, vic, australia

First posted November 28, 2015 21:31:21

Agen Sabung Ayam

Migrants barred from crossing into Macedonia hold protest

By COSTAS KANTOURIS and KONSTANTIN TESTORIDES, Linked Press

IDOMENI, Greece (AP) — Migrants barred from crossing the Greece-Macedonia border held a fourth day of protests Sunday, as Macedonia’s president criticized the European Union more than the refugee crisis for a lack of economic support and information sharing.

The influx of migrants into Macedonia has heightened tensions in the nation, President Gjorgje Ivanov stated.

“The risk of attainable conflict in between refugees and migrants, the migrants and police and army, and amongst migrants and local people is rated as higher,” Ivanov told reporters Sunday soon after meeting with going to European Council president Donald Tusk in Macedonia’s capital, Skopje.

Numerous European nations, such as EU members Slovenia and Croatia and non-members Serbia and Macedonia, have declared they will only allow “war-zone refugees” from Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria to transit via their countries on their way to central and northern Europe.

This policy has left many other folks stranded in the Greek border town for four days, demanding to be let in and chanting slogans such as “Freedom!” and “We are not terrorists.”

On Sunday, an Iranian man threatened to cut his wrists with a razor if not permitted into Macedonia. Police intervened to disarm him, but, in the scuffle, he reduce his face.

The number of migrants getting barred from entering Macedonia has fallen significantly Sunday, from much more than two,000 to around 1,300 in the early evening. Many of them took buses and taxis to Athens and Thessaloniki. Greek police think they might be trying to locate other routes, like with the assist of smugglers.

Ivanov also stated that Macedonia has the capacity to shelter about two,000 folks in its temporary transit centers.

“Any boost in these numbers will improve permanent and direct threats and dangers for the national security of Macedonia,” he added.

A total of six,000 refugees crossed into Macedonia from early Saturday via early Sunday, police say. About 500,000 refugees have transited by means of Macedonia in 2015.

___

Konstantin Testorides reported from Skopje, Macedonia. Demetris Nellas contributed to this report from Athens, Greece.

Copyright 2015 The Connected Press. All rights reserved. This material might not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered By WizardRSS.com | Complete Text RSS Feed

Bandar Sabung Ayam