Tag Archives: questioned

Reside: Turnbull back, Bishop questioned more than charter jet

E-mail

Updated December 02, 2015 07:50:44

Map: Australia

Malcolm Turnbull has arrived house from Paris and Julie Bishop is facing inquiries over her use of a private jet to pick her up from a charity dinner.

Adhere to the day in politics live.

External Hyperlink: Link to ABC politics blog December 2

Topics: government-and-politics, federal-government, parliament, federal-parliament, australia

1st posted December 02, 2015 07:49:19

Agen Sabung Ayam

Deal to have MONA style public space in Macquarie Point questioned

Posted November 30, 2015 18:24:21

Macquarie Point master plan overview Photo: The development will be landlocked with Sullivans Cove and the TasPorts-run Macquarie Wharf separating it from the waterfront. (Supplied: Macquarie Point Improvement Corporation)
Connected Story: Waterfront improvement could be ‘Hobart’s Opera Property moment’
Map: Hobart 7000

Inquiries are being raised about a deal to have the Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) curate the public spaces of the $ 1 billion Macquarie Point redevelopment in Hobart.

The Macquarie Point Improvement Corporation will soon contract the museum’s curators to oversee the style of two main public spaces – Goods Shed Plaza and Goods Shed Park.

But Tasmanian developer Brendon Bourke mentioned the deal lacked transparency.

“There seems to be a lack of transparency in these sort of projects in Tasmania that are Government run,” he mentioned.

“MONA may possibly nicely be the greatest, but how would we know? I don’t know what the criteria was: how they had been chosen? By whom they have been chosen?

“That appears to be an problem for a lot of Tasmanian architects, designers and constructors.”

The proposed deal followed the good results of Dark Mofo, which converted the disused rail yards into Dark Park, attracting 76,000 people.

Hobart architect Tim Penny mentioned involving the arts neighborhood produced sense.

“It’s a good idea [but] I’m not entirely positive it really is going to value the development,” he said.

The corporation’s Elizabeth Jack disagreed, arguing MONA’s contribution would invigorate the space.

“It adds [value] for the developers but it also adds value for people that will be living and functioning here very first,” she stated.

Each the corporation and MONA mentioned there would be an opportunity for architects to be involved.

MONA stated there would be public consultation during the next six to 12 months as it worked on a idea for the public space.

Site’s master plan is confused, critics say

Mr Penny questioned whether there would be any developer interest in the wider internet site, saying the master strategy, which was released in June, is aspirational but confused.

“I suspect if they released the packages now, it would just fizzle,” he mentioned.

Mr Bourke agreed that the master plan was confused.

“I nevertheless have no great idea of what they’re aiming for, what they’re large picture is, what their philosophy is,” he said.

But Ms Jack stated there had been strong interest from developers and an expressions of interest process will open in mid-December.

The value of the contract with MONA will be created public when it is finalised in coming days.

Subjects: urban-improvement-and-preparing, hobart-7000

Agen Sabung Ayam

Man questioned over suspected murder of Canberra man

Posted November 30, 2015 15:59:59

A man has been questioned by police as component of a murder investigation into the death of a Canberra man whose body was found on Defence land earlier this month.

Andrew Carville’s body was at Majura on November 19, about three weeks following he was last observed at his home in Evatt.

Police previously stated they had been treating the death as suspicious, but they now suspect he was murdered.

ACT police confirmed they were investigating numerous people of interest into the death of Mr Carville, who was aged in his 50s.

Among these is the owner of an abandoned auto located crashed at Molonglo Gorge.

The 1986 cream coloured Toyota Land Cruiser was observed at Mr Carville’s home ahead of his disappearance.

Police mentioned detectives interviewed the male owner of the vehicle in connection to the death and stated he could not be “eliminated as a suspect”.

A 1986 cream coloured Toyota Land Cruiser wedged in bushes. Photo: The 1986 cream coloured Toyota Land Cruiser located in Molonglo Gorge linked to Andrew Carville’s death. (Supplied: ACT Policing)

The man has been subject to a quantity of forensic tests.

Police are also focusing their homicide investigation on a number of people who have been at the Evatt home, helping an ex-housemate move out of the house on the night Mr Carville went missing.

“Mr Carville was last seen by a quantity of persons who were assisting an ex-housemate move house from his residence,” Detective Sergeant Donna Parsons stated.

“Police have subsequently executed a number of search warrants, with several products of interest being seized for forensic examination.”

Topics: law-crime-and-justice, crime, murder-and-manslaughter, canberra-2600, act

Agen Sabung Ayam

Alleged abortion clinic gunman questioned, motive still unclear

Posted November 29, 2015 01:49:36

Police have released a photo of the man arrested for allegedly shooting three people to death and wounding nine other folks in an attack on a Colorado loved ones preparing centre.

Robert Lewis Dear, 57, from south Carolina is being questioned by police of Colorado Springs, who are nonetheless trying to determine the motive for yesterday’s attack on the Planned Parenthood clinic.

President Barack Obama on Saturday condemned the attack, saying “adequate was sufficient”.

Two civilians and a police officer had been allegedly killed by the gunman, who surrendered right after a 5-hour stand off with police.

The dead policeman was identified as Garrett Swasey, 44, a campus officer at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs who had raced to the scene of the shooting.

The gunman entered the clinic with what police described as a “extended weapon” and opened fire from a window.

A number of news reports, which includes CNN, said the attacker appeared to be armed with an AK-47-variety rifle.

Colorado police chief Peter Carey stated the circumstance was heartbreaking.

“I was capable to invest a small bit of time at many of the hospitals with our injured officers as well as some of the victims of this factor,” he stated.

“All I can say is my heart’s broken. This is a genuinely actually hard circumstance for a lot of men and women in our neighborhood and the community at big.”

It is nonetheless unclear whether or not the clinic was the shooter’s target.

Abortion is 1 of a lot of solutions Planned Parenthood supplies for girls, and the association has become a lightning rod for criticism by social conservatives.

The handcuffed suspected gunman at the Planned Parenthood clinic. Photo: The suspected gunman has been taken into police custody. (Reuters: Rick Wilking)

Sufficient is adequate: Obama

The attack, one day after Americans celebrated the Thanksgiving vacation, is the most recent incident to shine a spotlight on gun violence in the US.

Mr Obama used the incident to highlight the need to have for higher gun handle.

“We have to do one thing about the simple accessibility of weapons of war on our streets to individuals who have no company wielding them. Period,” Mr Obama stated in a statement.

Former FBI specific agent Steve Moore told CNN the shooter’s motivations are clear.

“Well it seems to me to have all of the ear marks of a domestic terrorism attack,” he said.

“You have a prospective political target. You have an abortion clinic and … I imply, it really is practically like if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it’s going to be a duck. It positive seems to be domestic terrorism.”

‘I looked at him and then the shots came by means of the glass’

Survivor Ozy Licano was sitting in a parked truck outside the Planned Parenthood building where the attack occurred.

“I attempted to get out of my auto and run and I believed about that and I mentioned no. And I got back into the auto, started it, place it in reverse, started backing out, and then he was in front of me,” Mr Licano mentioned.

“And he was aiming at me, and I just hit the gas. And he started shooting, and I was searching at his face.

“I believe I had 10 seconds, 5 to 10 seconds to look at him, and then the shots came via the glass and then I began bleeding.”

ABC and wires

Topics: murder-and-manslaughter, police, united-states

Agen Sabung Ayam

Coe’s Eugene decision role questioned

Lord Coe (left) was elected IAAF president in succession to Lamine Diack in August

IAAF president Lord Coe is facing conflict of interest allegations following emails emerged suggesting he lobbied his predecessor more than the hosting of the 2021 World Championships.

Eugene, USA, was given the occasion without having a bidding approach, in spite of interest from the Swedish city of Gothenburg.

A BBC investigation has uncovered emails which claim Coe – a Nike ambassador and then-vice president of planet athletics – “reached out” to Lamine Diack with his help for Eugene’s bid.

The Oregon city, which lost out to Doha with a 2019 bid, is closely connected with the sports giant.

Leader of the Gothenburg bid at the time and former head of Interpol Bjorn Eriksson told the BBC that the conflict of interest allegations needed “an explanation”.

When asked about the allegations, Coe told the BBC he “did not lobby anybody” more than Eugene’s bid, but “encouraged them to re-enter yet another bidding cycle as they had a robust bid”.

The British former Olympic 1500m champion, who was elected as president of athletics’ governing body in August, added that all of his interests had been declared to the IAAF’s ethics committee and that his views on all the bids for the 2019 World Athletics Championships and Eugene’s 2021 bid “are all a matter of public record”.

Senagalese Diack, 82, is getting investigated over allegations he took payments for deferring sanctions against Russian drugs cheats.

Following the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (Wada) independent commission report suggested Russia’s athletics federation be suspended from international competition, Coe mentioned track and field faced a “lengthy way back” from a “shameful scenario” – but that he was “much more determined than ever” to lead the sport.

Even so, the report’s co-author Dick Pound will be publishing the second portion of his report later this year, focusing on alleged IAAF corruption.

How was the 2021 selection produced?

Coe had been on the IAAF evaluation commission which visited Doha, Eugene, and the other unsuccessful bidder for 2019, Barcelona.

After its disappointment, Track Town USA, the organisation behind the Eugene bid – which is closely related with Nike – quickly turned its focus to 2021, and started lobbying the IAAF.

The efforts of Vin Lananna, Track Town USA’s chief, paid off and in April this year at an IAAF meeting in Beijing, Diack announced a surprise vote on whether or not to bypass a standard bidding process, and just hand the 2021 games to Eugene.

Several IAAF council members have told the BBC that Diack created clear his support for Eugene, and urged his fellow members to comply with suit. The secret vote was carried by 23-1, with 1 abstention.

A bid procedure did not take place when the Japanese city of Osaka was awarded the 2007 Planet Championships.

What was the reaction?

Eugene stages the Prefontaine Classic each year, portion of the IAAF Diamond League

Eriksson, the then head of Swedish athletics who was in charge of Gothenburg’s bid, told the BBC he had been personally assured by both Coe and Diack that it would get a chance to bid for 2021.

“The thought we do not even get the chance to deliver an offer, we do not get the chance to be judged,” he mentioned. “That tends to make me still furious.”

Eriksson is now demanding answers over regardless of whether Coe himself played any part in the procedure.

Coe told the BBC he believed the 2021 games would only be awarded right after a bidding approach until the IAAF council meeting in April at which Diack told its members to award the event to Eugene.

Lananna is on record as saying that neither Nike nor Coe had something to do with the bidding approach, other than Coe’s appropriate to vote on it as an IAAF member.

So what was in the email?

The BBC has obtained an internal Nike e-mail that could throw doubt on that claim.

The e mail, dated 30 January 2015, is from Craig Masback, director of company affairs for Nike’s Worldwide Sports Marketing and advertising, to Lananna and Robert Fasulo, each from Track Town USA.

Masback was chief executive for USA Track and Field (USATF) for far more than 10 years just before joining Nike in 2008.

The e-mail, titled ‘2021’ and in which Coe is referred to as “Seb”, reads: “I spoke with Seb this morning. We covered numerous topics but I asked particularly about 2021.

“He made clear his assistance for 2021 in Eugene but made equally clear he had reached out to Diack specifically on this subject and got a clear statement from Diack that ‘I am not going to take any action at the April meeting (in Beijing) to pick a 2021 site’.”

But it was at that April meeting of the IAAF’s council that Diack announced the surprise vote on giving the championships straight to Eugene.

What occurred subsequent?

Other emails seen by the BBC reveal that Lananna made at least one particular trip to Europe to pay a visit to Diack a few weeks soon after this email was written.

And by 15 April 2015, Track Town USA’s campaign had paid off.

“We got 24 hours’ notice of this vote and it was produced clear to us what Lamine wanted – he wanted Eugene to get these championships,” an IAAF council member told the BBC. The decision was announced on 16 April.

‘It smells and demands investigating’

Gothenburg final hosted the World Athletics Championships in 1995

The BBC showed the emails to Eriksson, who is also the former president of international police organisation Interpol.

“It does not appear good. It doesn’t good at all. I would extremely considerably [like to] hear the explanation for this,” Eriksson stated. “I’ve by no means noticed it prior to.

“I would quite much like to hear how could this be explained. It is a very excellent query to Sebastian Coe. What is this?”

Asked how he felt about the complete 2021 process, Eriksson said: “It smells and it has to be investigated. That’s for the sport, for everybody involved.”

Eriksson also cautioned Coe on his association with Nike, which is reported to be worth about £100,000 per year to the double Olympic gold medallist.

He mentioned: “I’d say it doesn’t assist at all, I’d say it is a significant problem.”

What about Nike’s role in this?

Although Nike is not an official IAAF sponsor, it could benefit from the games getting held in Eugene.

Nike is a worldwide superpower in athletics – particularly in the USA exactly where it has a sponsorship deal with USATF until 2040 – but came in for criticism when it re-signed twice-banned American sprinter Justin Gatlin.

It is also the kit sponsor for the Russian athletics federation – the topic of a current, damning report by a Wada independent commission.

And earlier this year, the elite Nike Oregon Project instruction camp and its coach Alberto Salazar was at the centre of doping allegations by BBC Panorama, which have been denied, but stay the topic of a US Anti-Doping Agency investigation.

Lord Coe’s responses to the BBC

Q: Did you lobby the IAAF and/or Lamine Diack on behalf of Eugene 2021? If so, offered your role with Nike and Nike’s close association with Eugene and Track Town USA, what would you say to those who would think about this to be a conflict of interest?

A: No, I did not lobby any person on behalf of the Eugene 2021 bid. Soon after their narrow defeat for the 2019 Championships I encouraged them to re-enter another bidding cycle as they had a strong bid. My views on all the bids for the 2019 World Athletics Championships (including Eugene) are a matter of record as I was chair of the evaluation commission for those bids. All my interests were, and continue to be, totally declared to the IAAF ethics committee and listed at the Residence of Lords.

Q: Did you ever talk about the Eugene 2021 bid with any Nike employee, official or executives? If so, with whom, and when?

A: Not unless I was asked if Eugene must rebid to which I would have replied ‘yes’ offered how close they came to winning and the strength of their bid. My views are all a matter of public record as the media covered this extensively at the time.

Q: Did you tell any Nike employee, official or executive in January 2015, that you had been in favour of the IAAF Planet Championships coming to Eugene in 2021? If so, provided your position at the IAAF, what would you say to these who would consider this advance statement of support to be a conflict of interest?

A: I have long believed we need to have a Globe Championship for athletics in the USA given the strength and size of this market and have had discussions with US Track and Field, the USOC (United States Olympic Committee), and cities and states in the USA several times. It is up to these organisations to put forward the proposal of a city, not me.

Q: The BBC has been told by Swedish Athletics that it was assured by you personally, as effectively as by Lamine Diack, that the 2021 games would only be awarded right after a bidding method. Did you say this? If so, how do you then explain what happened?

A: I would have carried out as that was my view proper up to the council meeting in Beijing when president Diack told the council of 25 people there have been political and financial considerations in terms of the way the funding package came collectively for Eugene that might not be present once again and we should award 2021 to Eugene. The overwhelming majority of IAAF council members from all components of the globe decided to take the world track and field championships into a market exactly where we have never been before. The situation was uncommon but not unprecedented. A bid method did not take spot when Osaka was awarded the 2007 Globe Championships. The process for bidding is currently becoming reviewed as element of a wide range of reforms at the moment becoming ready.

Q: The BBC understands that a considerable amount of public income, via UK Sport, was created available to you to support fund your presidential campaign. In light of the events at the IAAF, which some say stands accused of becoming “worse than Fifa”, do you think this was great value for money for the UK taxpayer? If so, why?

A: I am quite grateful for UK Sport’s help. It was provided to me, and to other folks, as portion of UK Sport’s function to market the UK’s sporting interests internationally by assisting with the appointment of folks into important international roles. Two thirds of the campaign was privately funded.

Q: UK Sport has confirmed that it offered £63,000 worth of funding to spend for Lord Coe’s PR group at Vero. Can you confirm how Lord Coe funded the rest of the campaign? ie. travel and expenses?

A: Two-thirds of the campaign was privately funded.

Bandar Sabung Ayam